Wednesday, June 3, 2015

New Knits, New, True Knitter

Our library lets you check out materials for three weeks at a time, and you can renew materials twice. This is why I had better finally finish Susan Maushart's, The Winter of Our Disconnect: How Three Totally Wired Teenagers (and a Mother Who Slept with Her iPhone) Pulled the Plug on Their Technology and Lived to Tell the Tale, because I will have had nine weeks to read it! True, I began reading it amidst others I was reading for school, but those are gone now and I should be able to focus!


I do like the book, which is why I'm trying to stick with it. It is another "year in the life" book - or in this case, "six-months-in-the-life." The trouble for me, I think, is that Maushart will share her experiences, but then she also brings in a lot of research and philosophical thoughts on the nature of her family's experiment. Sometimes she will even take the reader backwards, chronologically, to pre-experiment time to discuss a topic there. It's relevant, but I do find myself getting frustrated, feeling a, "Let's get on with it!" attitude. Perhaps this is why it was something I kept putting down while I had other reading material. Her statistics and other information bog down the speed of my reading and when I had real deadlines with other material, I didn't have time to ruminate. I guess I didn't expect that from this book when I picked it up. Now I know, however. I will give it one more shot and try to be monogamous with it, because though she writes with a humorous voice, for me, I feel like this book demands my whole attention. With other books around I found myself skimming the more philosophical parts, but I didn't really want to because she does bring up some interesting points on this very relevant topic. Hopefully, I won't feel the need to skim anymore and will get to the end more properly!

I am delighted with all of my knitting (and my little cross stitch project)! But I don't really have anything interesting to show you all just yet. I'm still working on my Rivercat sock and still working on the endless stockinette in navy blue for my sweater. The cross stitch really helps because I can see so much more progress with it.

Eve, however, has some instant-gratification knitting to share. She loved the Shroom hat that I made and wanted one for herself. She whipped this one up in two days. In true knitterly fashion, she had to stop herself at 2 a.m. and resign herself to finishing in the morning.









Didn't she do an amazing job?! This is her first completed project she is really, really proud of: no mistakes, even tension, good fit! She has confidence to complete a shawl now. She is excited to do it and is saving up money to find just the perfect gradient yarn. The pattern she wants to try is pretty complex, but with patience, I know she can do it!


Linking up with Ginny again today for Yarn Along. Looking forward to seeing what you all are knitting and reading in your part of the world!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...