Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Magic Cake and a Blue Thread

Craving color, I've added a third project to my summer knitting. I made myself knit to a certain part of my navy blue (Taking) Forever Birthday Sweater and then I purchased Paula Emons-Fuessle's Magic Cake Ruffle Shawl. It's a simple pattern that uses up your yarn leftovers. I've known about it for some time, but it wasn't until I saw Susan B. Anderson wearing hers on her video podcast and found it so cute, that I thought I'd give it a try.


It was fun selecting and weighing out which yarns I wanted to use and then balling everything up into one, big, colorful ball (though I like that a caked yarn will sit flat while you knit, I find that they tangle often enough that I'm back to winding balls instead). Now, however, I'm not sure how much I'm going to like the results. It is quite addicting getting from one color to another and I don't exactly remember just how the color order goes. I suppose I could have written it down, but I am enjoying the element of surprise. I am hoping I will like it when it is finished. Right now, I'm kind of meh with the colors. I hope there will be a more uniform, overall effect in the end.


Other than that, my socks and birthday sweater are slow, but steady. The construction of my birthday sweater is one I have never knit before, and right now, honestly, I can't totally see where it's going. But, I am just trusting the pattern and am moving forward. I don't know what I will do if I mess this up again. But let's not go there just now!

In other needle news, I have finished my cross stitch and have it hung in my new, little craft space. I love the way it turned out and love how it looks in the room! In fact, my new little space has quickly become a favorite spot for me.


I found this valance of mine when I was looking through linens that I was deciding over whether or not to purge. I bought and used this in our eat-in space in our kitchen when we lived in Florida. I've always loved this cheery fabric combination, but it definitely demands a particular decor. The rest of my house is more muted in shades (other than my happy, yellow bedroom) and I didn't know if I would ever use this again. But now, as things have developed in this space, I think it fits quite brilliantly.












Finally, I am trying to finish up Anne Tyler's, A Spool of Blue Thread. I've only had two weeks to read this one and it's due tomorrow on the 18th. I am awfully close to finishing; I'm sure I'll get it done.


I am enjoying the story and am interested to see how it will end. Right now it feels like somewhat of an ordinary story, meaning a rather gentle moving plot and pace. It actually reminds me a good deal of the television series, Parenthood: stories of a family. I have never read Anne Tyler's work before, despite the fact that she is a Pulitzer Prize winning author. I find her to be extremely observant and her characters are very vivid, very real. There is an exploration of aging parents and the relationships they have with their kids and the ways they feel about getting older. I wonder if this is new insight that Tyler has gained over the years; the observations are intimate and real. Right now, I would recommend this to those who enjoy family stories. I will have to wait until I'm finished to decide if I would recommend it to others.

That's what's going on in my crafty life these days. I'm linking up with Ginny again so that I can see what everyone else has been up to too!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...