Sunday, May 31, 2015

Quick Dollar Tree Craft Cubby!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?

So, my birdie, Pistachio has been sick. She will be 17 years old in a couple of weeks, but her potential life span is nearly twice that. She is on antibiotics and many days she seems that she is getting better, but others, she seems to be winded. I had her downstairs here in the living room in her little travel cage when I first began giving her the medicine. I kept feeling like her symptoms were worse when she was upstairs where her regular cage is and I still feel that way. I don't know if she is actually allergic to something up there or not, but I got tired of trying to figure it out, so I have moved her regular cage down to the living room. I didn't really want it in here, but I've got it in a pretty good place and it works for now. She likes being down here where more of the action is anyway and it may be my imagination, but she seems to be improving.

So, then I had quite a bit more space on the landing upstairs where her cage was before. That space is right next to my desk; the whole area is my office area really. We had decided that the shoe shelves we had set by the back door actually took up more room in our wee, back entry than they were worth and they had been sitting in the upper hallway for a few weeks until we decided what to do with them.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. Despite the window, it's a rather dark part of the house and these are taken with my camera, as usual.



Then it occurred to me that I might be able to use these shelves to house my small yarn stash. Most of my yarn stash is leftovers from projects I have done or a handful of random - but great quality - skeins I scored at a Goodwill a number of years ago.

I honestly think it would make me uncomfortable to own a plethora of yarn. I know some people are comfortable with it, but it doesn't match my simple living tendencies. I don't want so much yarn that I may never knit with it in my lifetime. That said, I did think it would be nice to have it out from the bin under my bed.


I spent $10 at the Dollar tree for 8 bins, a package of labels, and twine and changed my shoe shelf into a "craft cubby" where I store my yarn (generally organized according to size), and some embroidery/cross stitch supplies.


The tins on top belonged to my granny. She has them filled with all the colors of the rainbow of embroidery floss. She was very much like I am now: she embroidered, knit, sewed, and painted. I wish I would have lived closer to her when I was growing up that she might have had the opportunity to teach me what she knew. As it is, I learned anyway and now use some of her supplies to embellish my own projects.





I moved two of my dolls into the space. The doll on the right is officially vintage, as I got him when I was two years old! The little girl doll on the left, I bought 5 or 6 years ago. I don't actually collect dolls (the few that I have were mostly from my childhood - one I bought replaced a favorite I lost when I was a little girl too), but I thought she was completely charming and I bought her. I rarely buy anything so frivolous, but I have loved dolls all my life and so bought her one year with some Christmas money. :)

So, now I happily have a little space dedicated to my fiber hobbies. To the right of this space, as I mentioned, is my desk where I'll also begin working on my index cards for ICAD - the Index Card a Day Challenge for 2015. There's still time to join up (for free and for FUN!), because it doesn't start until tomorrow! Oh, it's going to be a fun and crafty June!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...