Tuesday, March 31, 2015

March 2015 Favorites!

Ohmygosh. My mouth just waters beginning to write this post, because I love donuts. No,really. 
I LOVE donuts.


 and


and even when I am practicing my Spanish:


This has become the treat I ask for every year on my birthday: one, maybe two donuts. Those of you who know me in person know that I regularly say that I am not a sweets person. And I'm not. BUT donuts are my kryptonite. Well, they do make me weak, but I don't indulge very often. Just like my cinnamon rolls that I only make for Christmas morning and the caramel rolls I make for Easter morning, I like to keep my donut noshing memorable, so my indulgences are few and far between.

Keeping those indulgences few and far between got a lot easier when I gave up dairy in 2005. In fact, they pretty much disappeared altogether. It is not easy to find a good, vegan donut. I'm not talking cake donuts. Vegan cake is very easy to make and shaping it into a donut shape is not hard. No, I'm talking about the classic, bakery donut. What do you call that kind anyway? But you know the one of Krispy Kreme fame and the like.

But then my friend, Liz, introduced me to Glam Doll Donuts in Minneapolis last summer and they are so, so, so, SO good!!! Perfect donuts. 

And not just one choice for us vegans (though they carry non-vegan donuts too). They had at least 8 varieties a couple of weeks ago when Paul and I went there after church.

Look. I couldn't even wait to take the picture before I started eating it! I remembered halfway through and so I have this pitiful picture of my delicious chocolate covered, vanilla-bean custard filled piece of heaven.

One of my summer "bucket list" type plans is to ride my bike over there and reward myself with this delicious prize! It's a 15 mile, 1.5 hour ride. I would probably eat all the calories I'd burned just getting there. If I actually rode back home I might have actually accomplished something! We'll see...

The next favorite this month is not delicious to me, but it is to one of our cats. Charlotte has terrible digestion troubles and it's gotten to the point that she has trouble with anything that has any grain in it at all. I think chicken may actually be a problem for her too. 

I'm so thankful that cat food companies have wised up to begin providing choices without grain in the food so that I could avoid paying a visit to a local butcher. Bleh. Even that word, "butcher" is just a little too onomotopoetic for me.

These little packages aren't cheap, but she can keep them down and recently I got them on sale, 10 for a $10, so I bought 20. They are convenient and she likes them. I honestly don't know if our cat's situation is just digestive or is something worse (we've taken her to the vet for blood work and a few other tests that came back normal and beyond doing some invasive surgery to search for cancer, we just have to keep trying what we can), but this food is something that makes her happy and seems to be helping somewhat, so it makes my "favorite's" list for the month!


Now this is more like it! I had the Mint Chocolate variety here at home that I bought from Target a while back. Maia went online to the Harney & Sons site, though, and this delightful tea came in the mail a few days later with two others she ordered. This is the one that smelled the most intriguing and yummy to me though, so this is the one I tried and it's so, SO good. On their website they describe it as, " a fruity black tea with vanilla and caramel flavors, and a hint of lemony Bergamot." Yes! Try some; you won't be sorry!

Finally, here's something not involving food for people, animals, or otherwise.

It's my new ride!


It's still been a bit yucky outside for my taste to ride, but as soon as things warm up a bit more, I'm going to be on it! I'm so excited!

This great guy is my brother-in-law and he knows bikes.



He took me around to some local, used bike shops. We started and ended here at Cycles for Change which is a not-for-profit shop in St. Paul that has a powerful mission and vision for the community:

Mission: to build a diverse and empowered community of bicyclists
Vision: Cycles for Change envisions a Twin Cities region where:
  • Everyone has access to a bicycle and the tools and knowledge to ride safely and confidently
  • Bicycling has transformed the streets and paths of the Twin Cities into places where everyone feels safe and connected to their community
  • Bicycle-friendly communities make jobs, education, and economic mobility available to all
  • Bicycling helps people live healthy, empowered lives
  • Racial and gender equity is a cornerstone of our transportation system
See more of what they are about HERE.  

Well, that's it! What a fast and fun month it has been! On to warmer weather which = more bike rides which = longer bike rides which = well, you know... donuts!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...