Thursday, March 12, 2015

Inspirational Podcasts

You know, there is just SO much good content being created in the world. I love the access to creativity that the internet brings. There are now so many outlets for creative expression as well as outlets for engaging with and just appreciating the creativity of others. One of my favorite methods of doing this is listening to podcasts. In fact, back when I got my first iPod as a Christmas gift from my husband in 2007, I believe, it was podcasts that I listened to more than anything else. Some of my old favorites have now faded into podcast history, some are still going strong, and some are brand new.

I love that new podcasts continue to be created. As with blogging and vlogging, there are some podcasts that are professionally created (as in recordings of professionally produced programs, such as This American Life, etc.), those that have achieved a great deal of success over time, those that are just for fun, and those that are somewhere in between - those folks who manage to make a little income off their podcast to often simply help support the production of the podcast itself. I like all kinds. I can count on the professional ones or those who have achieved a more professional status to produce content regularly and of quality. On the other hand, personal podcasts are enjoyable due to their often quirky nature and feel more like a conversation with a friend.

The ones I'm listing here today are more on the professional side of things but that's partly because I've talked about podcasts before and you will find some of those linked in my sidebar. Today I am sharing some that are newer to me and that I have been enjoying for only a little while, but that bring a lot of food for thought and inspiration to my days!

The Simple Sophisticate Podcast


Shannon Ables is the name behind the long-running, successful blog, The Simply Luxurious Life. Last year she ventured into podcasting and produces a terrific show each week that she uploads on Mondays. This girl is a list-maker and she always has "10 Ways..." or "8 Tips..." or "15 Things to Try..." to share with her listeners. She is thoughtful and thought provoking and does her research. If you love her blog, you'll love her show and if you haven't tried either, you should!

Happier With Gretchen Rubin


This is a brand new podcast - only a few episodes have been produced! As soon as I heard about it, I knew I wanted to subscribe and not miss an episode. Perhaps you are familiar with the name, Gretchen Rubin? She is the author of The Happiness Project and Happier at Home and her new book, Better Than Before, is set to be released soon and is taking pre-orders now.

Gretchen produces this podcast with her sister, Elizabeth, who lives and works in California writing for television. If you know Gretchen's work, she is often doing experiments (just like ME!) in the pursuit of happiness or just trying new things out with life. She challenges listeners in the podcast to do the same and she and Elizabeth follow along and report on their successes... and fails. It's a fun listen; highly recommended!



Book Riot

And speaking of books - which I may have been know to do from time to time - Book Riot that I mentioned in an earlier post has a few, fun podcasts that they produce. There is Book Riot Podcast of the same name where they review books and discuss events happening in the book world ~ LOVE! They also produce, Dear Book Nerd, in which listeners write in with bookish questions like an advice column ~ really fun! And they have Reading Lives, in which they interview public figures who share what they're reading and how it influences their lives. All good stuff! Dig in!


Coffee Break Spanish



As I have mentioned, I am working on increasing my Spanish speaking skills this year. One resource I'm using is to listen to Coffee Break Spanish. This one has been around for years and is really terrific. You can go back into the archives to listen from the very beginning or, since I am not an absolute beginner, I looked at the topics covered and started where I felt would be best for me. You can download and listen for free, as is with most language-learning podcasts, or you can pay to receive materials that will help you along with your studies, such as worksheets, transcripts, etc. I haven't chosen to do that just now, but I think I would have considered it more if I were an absolute beginner.

So, give one of these great shows a try and let me know what you think if you listen! Do you listen to podcasts? Which are your favorites? Please leave me a comment below or let me know on Facebook. Enjoy the rest of your week!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...