Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Easy Vegan Peach Cobbler




It really is surprising how a body adapts to the cold. As we were leaving this morning at 9:30 to go to Eve's cooking class she said to me, "I think that maybe the temperature is stuck on my weather app. It keeps saying that it's just 31 degrees out here, but it can't be." So I checked mine and it was, indeed, a mere 31 degrees. In anticipation of the predicted 61 degree day, I had my light jacket and - of course - my 15 year old daughter was not wearing one at all. It was chilly, but not uncomfortable. I can't help but think back on my Florida years when 70 degrees meant I was wearing a cardigan and between 50 and 60 meant that my girls brought out their winter coats!

But spring is definitely in the air today! I have already seen people in shorts; capris without socks; and a short dress, no tights, and sandals. I'm sticking with my tights which are still a treat for me. And shedding the jacket by mid-morning feels delightful, especially when getting in and out of the car without all the bulk!

This weekend, with the sun streaming in and the promise of warmer temperatures to come, I decided to make a quick, peach cobbler. This recipe is so simple and so delicious that every time I make it I wonder why I don't make it more often? It's a wonderful recipe to share for an after-dinner dessert with friends or even to bring along to a brunch. Fresh peaches will make this recipe shine in June, but canned peaches are delicious too. That's what I had on hand and that's what I used. We enjoyed ours after we got back from a Sunday afternoon stroll - the first of many more to come now that spring is nearly here. I'd set the caramel coffee on to percolate when we left and it was all ready to go when we returned.

My recipe is a simple adaptation from this Betty Crocker cookbook that someone left behind in our second home when we moved into it in 1999. I have a feeling a few of the first pages are missing; there is no copyright date that I can find for it. It looks to me like it was published in the 80's, perhaps the early 80's.


I've wondered if I should get rid of this because of all the recipes I don't use in it as well as all the recipes available online today. I adapt animal-based recipes all the time though, so despite the fact that this cookbook has a lot of meat recipes, I find it to be handy, especially for desserts and baked goods. They always turn out so delicious and there are a number of tried-and-true recipes in here (birthday cakes and Strawberry Shortcake come to mind) that are like old friends. The Peach Cobbler is no different. But before I share the recipe with you, have a look at some of these photos! Even though I'm can't come close to pretending to be a food photographer, these just crack me up; food styling and photography has come such a long way!

Check out the mushroom sandwiches. The garnishes... so appealing...


 I like the melon balls on the lettuce leaf in this one:


And here's our friend, Peach Cobbler. She doesn't look too bad!



Easy Vegan Peach Cobbler
(Adapted from, and with special thanks to, Betty Crocker's Cookbook)
1/2 c sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/4 t ground cinnamon
3 cans/6 fresh peaches
1 t lemon juice
3 T shortening
1 c unbleached flour
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond... but I bet a vanilla non-dairy milk would be terrific in here too!)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the 1/2 c sugar, cornstarch, & cinnamon in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the peaches and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir one minute. Pour into ungreased, 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven.

Cut shortening into flour, 1 T sugar, the baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.

Bake until topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm. This is delicious on its own. Vanilla soy ice cream is also a perfect accompaniment (Trader Joe's makes a great one) or homemade, vegan whipped cream made with coconut cream. There are many great recipes for that to be found online. Enjoy!


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...