Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Vegetarian Mardi Gras Menu!






We don't generally celebrate Mardi Gras in a big way around here, but I thought this year we could at least observe the day with some good, Southern food.

Pancakes are a traditional food of Fat Tuesday. They contain fat, milk, and eggs: all the things that people would try to eat up before the season of Lent began.

So, tonight we'll have what my sister and her husband affectionately refer to as, "Brinner," or "Breakfast for Dinner." Along side the pancakes, we'll have fried okra. When we lived in Florida we could find fried okra in the freezer case at the grocery store. Not so in Minnesota. We do have okra, though, so I'll just make it from scratch.


And boiled peanuts. Having spent some of my youth in South Carolina, I was thrilled when I found that boiled peanuts were not only also popular in Florida, but that they sold green peanuts in the produce area of the supermarket too, so you could make your own at home. I didn't even bother to look up here, but I was amazed when my dad stopped by with some a few months ago. He'd picked some up in a can at Walmart. I'll confess to not being a huge Walmart fan, but you can bet I'm going to head in to pick up a few cans for Tuesday.

So, that's a carb, and a veggie, and a protein. And there you have a vegetarian Fat Tuesday celebration dinner. I can hardly wait! :)

Photos courtesy of morgueFile.com
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...