Monday, February 23, 2015

Famous Easy Vegan Chili Recipe!

Happy Monday, Everyone!


http://www.thesitsgirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/crock-pot.jpg

I've got a busy day in store, so I am going to be tossing some chili into my slow cooker this morning to save me from having to prepare it later. I went back through my recipe tags and was really surprised to find out that I have never posted my FAMOUS VEGAN CHILI recipe here! :) Okay, maybe it's just famous in my family. But seriously, this is the recipe I have used ever since... well, ever since I learned how to make chili and it's the recipe I often give to folks who ask me for vegan recipes when they want to try something vegan but don't know where to start. I share this with them because I know it by heart because it's SO simple and really, really tasty. Here's something I tell people when I give them the recipe: It's all TWOs.

Famous Vegan Chili

2 large onions, chopped
2 cans (or 4 cups) pinto, black, kidney, or garbanzo beans or a combination (don't drain)
2 cans diced or stewed tomatoes with juice
2 T chili powder
2 t salt
2 t cumin
2 t oregano
2 t garlic (powder or minced)

(optional: burger crumbles)

Dump, dump, and dump. Into the slow cooker it goes on low for 6 to 8 hours. If you need to cook it for only 4 hours, I suggest sauteing the onions first. Also, this is perfect and fast on the stove top too. You don't have to use the slow cooker; just saute onions and the garlic if it's fresh, add the rest and simmer at least 20 minutes to let the flavors blend, but it can sit on the stove for a long time just simmering away, steaming up your kitchen and making mouths water. This recipe doubles and triples perfectly; it's an easy potluck dish to bring. It's also nice and easy for when you want to have a few friends over for dinner or want something nice to eat around a campfire. No fuss, no muss; just so easy. If you have any leftovers, you can top a veggie dog with this and some fresh, chopped onions too!

I almost always serve this with cornbread. I'll be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested. In the meantime, I'm off to tend to my busy day. Hope your week is off to a great start!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...