Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Warm February Welcome ~ Musing on the Month to Come


Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!

I love this sparkling month. As a bona fide romantic, I most certainly love the top half of the month: the lead-up to Valentine's Day, the pink, the red, the white. Even if you're not in a romantic relationship, you have relationships and it's a lovely excuse to let people know how much they mean to you. And, as I'm sure I've written here before, I'm particularly fond of Valentine's Day because I've always loved small things and I love giving small things to celebrate: a postcard; a small ATC; a little sketch; a bookmark (perhaps in a previously enjoyed paperback book); a beautiful, polished stone; a hen and chicks succulent in a wee pot; a poem (written or copied or discovered!); a chocolate bar with a love note. Valentine's Day to me is not about huge, romantic expressions, but about small tokens of sincere affection. What's not to love?

In February, I also love how you really begin to notice that the days are growing longer in North America this month. Sometimes in Minnesota, the sunny day means it's actually pretty darn cold outside. But that's okay. The sun comes in through our big, picture window in the living room and casts beams across the floor. The kitties and I follow the light around the room, finding the perfect place to bask.


The kitties watch the birds, squirrels, and crows through the window while I plot journal and plan, listen to podcasts, pray, work on homework, read, cook, knit, study Spanish, do yoga, meditate, seasonal decorating, think, and be inspired! There is no shortage of things to do. In fact, spring will mean that I've got more things to add to my list. So for now, winter is still meeting my needs just fine. I have to admit that I am thankful that there have been far fewer shoveling days thus far this winter and that has made a difference. But, in general, I am pleased to be welcoming another February. 

In addition to the regular goings-on, here are a few extra things that I am looking forward to this month:

  •  Daily meditation practice - at least 10-15 minutes daily (more on this in another post)
  • Attending IF Gathering at church
  • On the hunt for small things for Valentine's Day!
  • Valentine's Day - brunch at home and dinner date with my honey. We'd like to go to the newer French Meadow Cafe in St. Paul. I love the one in Minneapolis - such great vegan options - and now there's one even closer! Delicious!
Those are the things I'm thinking about right now. Do you have any fun plans for this frosty, sparkly month? Let me know in the comments or on Facebook. I'd love to hear about them.


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...