Friday, April 11, 2014

Favorite Quote Friday and Playing Tag

 "The French are able to live in the middle ground, because they don't go overboard in either direction. They are able to eat wonderful food and not gain weight, because they are not into the idea of feast or famine. They are into pleasure. They are not wearing lingerie because they're in love or wearing sweats because they are out of love, but rather they are a little sexy all the time."
- Jamie Cat Callan, Bonjour Happiness

As I think I may have mentioned, I am on a bit of a French kick lately, learning about French culture and style and I'm really enjoying it! That said, true Francophiles tend to wax poetic about their heart's desire and sometimes the French themselves seem to get a bit annoyed with it all, if Amazon reviews of some of the books I've been reading are any indication. Be that as it may, whether quintessentially French or not is beside the point for me. As my neighbor, Rob, might tell you, I am somewhat of an idealist and if joie de vivre means elevating even the mundane and getting the most out of life, I am all for it!




Remember when we played these games a number of years ago when Facebook was still young? The only thing constant is change, so I'm sure some of my answers will be new even to those of you who know me.


1. Are you named after someone?
Although my mother likes to suggest I was named after my great-grandfather, Nicholas, I think that is just a convenient tie-in, because she just loved the name, Nicole. Don't deny it, Mom! :)

2. When was the last time you cried?
On Monday. As a student with students, a graduation and all the mom duties, I got frustrated. Just when I think I'm at the end of my to-do list, another Monday rolls around and it all stacks up again. But my younger daughter, Eve stepped in and offered her help and really changed the tenor of my week by helping with suppers, putting away dishes (without being asked) and just generally making herself available to me. And hey, it's Friday and I've worked my way through another one, so I'm feeling pretty good right now!

3. Do you have kiddos?
  Two beautiful, teen girls, ages 14 & 17.

4. If you were another person, would you be a friend of yourself?
I think so. I would like to give myself some of the responsibility for the things I take care of, because I know I would do them! Plus, I'm a planner and I would love to have someone plan something for me! I would love to see what I dreamed up! :)

5. Do you have a guilty pleasure?
Pintrest and blogs.
6. Do you like your handwriting?
Yes. I love writing all kinds of things by hand: my journals, notes, letters. Unless my hand gets tired, I like the way it looks.

7. What’s your favorite cereal?
 I'm not a huge cereal fan, generally. I do like granola and I like my homemade granola. And I like peanut butter flavored cereals.
8. What’s the first thing you notice about people?
What they are doing, I think. I like to people-watch and I especially like seeing stylishly or originally dressed people.
9. What is your eye color?
Brown
10. Scary movie or happy endings?
Definitely happy endings. I don't like scary movies.
11. Favorite TV show?
Hmm... Downton Abbey, I suppose. My husband and I are also enjoying watching through episodes of Parenthood on Amazon Prime.

12. Summer or Winter?
In order: Fall, spring, summer, winter.

13. Hugs or Kisses?
Both.
14. What’s the furthest you’ve ever been from home?
Isla Mujeres, Mexico for my honeymoon.
15. Do you have any special talents?
I knit and paint. I like the portraits I've painted of people and think I render them pretty well. I'm good at yoga. I have a nice singing voice; I'd never win American Idol, but I do well enough for church choir and some solos now and then. I have a very good sense of direction and I love to write.

16. Where were you born?
Clarion, Iowa.
17. What are your hobbies?
In addition to the things listed in the talents above, I like to journal and blog. I would love to travel more. And I love to read.

18. Do you have any pets?
Yes. Three cats and a parrot who thinks she's the boss of all of them.
19. Favorite movie?
I have a few: "Enchanted April," "Under the Tuscan Sun," "Chocolate," and "A Christmas Story." Oh, and "Nacho Libre" is so absurd and always makes me laugh.
20. What color is your car?
We have a gray minivan (that came with FLAME decals on it - oh, YEAH!... and which we proceeded to remove right away) and a white Mini with a black hardtop.
21. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Well, I'm in school to work in a library... so I'm hoping that's what it is. I have LOVED being a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom and I have a few years left of that. But I'm on the hunt for my next starring role.

I'm tagging a few friends:

Marianna at Cardinal Acre

Shirley at Under an English Sky

and

Aimee at Living, Learning, and Loving Simply

 As you can see, I've only listed a very few here. If you'd like to play along, please do so by leaving a comment. Let me know when you plan to post your tagged post and I'll be sure to stop in and say hello!

Have a lovely weekend, all!

 
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...