Saturday, February 8, 2014

Here Comes the Sun!

Ahhh... That's better! A new, flowery banner for February. I was - and am - done with the dark blues of winter for now. The light is changing again and though I don't have total cabin fever - yet - I so appreciate that growing light. Next month we will gain more by springing forward, but we still get to notice those changes right now.

What a cold, cold winter it's been. I have been very intentional about doing things for myself to keep it sunny in my house and in my mind. I believe you must be intentional if you want to avoid even mild depression during these long and cold days.

So, I've been keeping up with exercise - as much or even more for my mental health as my physical health. I'm not doing as much as I do in the warmer months: logistics and time just won't permit me this busy season. But, I'm still moving, mostly with yoga.

Other than my regular quiet time in the mornings with my Bible and prayer, here are a few other things I turn to when I want a jolt of sunshine:

Susan Branch's blog and her books always remind me of what is good and possible.

Another blog I've found recently is The Glamorous Housewife. But even more fun than her blog, is her You Tube Channel. Bethany Herwegh is so unique and so authentic in who she is. I am blessed to have a number of friends in my life that live their authenticity similarly to Bethany and it is always so fun to be around!

Another You Tube Channel has been fun to watch. Angie's channel is called "Hot and Flashy." This gorgeous 51 year old woman does skin care, health and fitness, and fashion reviews for women in their "Hot and Flashy" years. Sure, it's fluffy talk, but she's smart and I don't need everything to be cerebral!

Try the "Fred Astaire" channel on Pandora. That era is my favorite kind of music; I love to listen while I'm washing dishes or getting ready in the mornings. It definitely lifts my mood every time!

Finally, I'm also playing Sims Freeplay on my Kindle. You can also play if you have an iPhone (play with me - be my friend via Facebook!) :) It's like playing with a dollhouse on the computer... except that aliens visit and other interesting things happen from time to time! :) You can spend money on the game if you want to progress faster, but I don't have any interest in that. I don't have much time to spend playing games as it is, but when I get an extra 15 minutes while eating lunch or just a quick mental break from schoolwork, it's a fun distraction for me.

That's it for now. Enjoying watching the Winter Olympic Games and Downton Abbey along with most of you, I'm sure. Back to the Olympics now. Wishing you many sunny days to come! :)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...