Friday, September 13, 2013

Catching and Freshening Up



Ten DAYS since my last post! My new college class and the new homeschooling year has picked me up by the scruff of the neck and has shaken me and my world around a bit! I am determined to try to keep pace here and post throughout this, my Maia's last homeschool year, but I'll admit to being a bit overrun by the deluge of activity these days. The schedule I designed for myself is helping and remains pretty much in tact, but more on that in a moment.

Yesterday, I was startled to realize that today was going to be September 13, which meant not only was our dear kitty, Charlotte, going to turn 10 and therefore be permitted to indulge in an entire can of wet cat food for the day (as opposed to her having to share with the two other kitties), but that my 40 Days of Fitness Reboot: Arms had come to an end! And so, I quickly called the girls and had them help me to record the results.






The happy results seem to be that I've lost about 1/2 inch around my arms. So that's gratifying. I'm planning to attempt to continue to keep the yoga/calisthenics routine in the mix as much as possible as part of my regular workout. That was the idea all along. I like the progress I've made, not just in what I've lost around my arms, but in the strength that I've gained from all of the "Down Dogs" I've held and the push-ups I've done over the last 40 days. My goal at present is to get through ONE complete repetition of this workout that I mentioned at the beginning of my 40 days:




Those planks are the killer. Those and the bridges. I can do the one minute bridge, but I haven't even attempted the two-minute. The farther down the workout I get, the more I have to turn the planks into "Down Dogs." My goal is to not have to do that. And then, do you see that last little line on the poster above the URL? It's says "Repeat 2X" At the moment I laugh and whimper a bit when I see that line, but I will be so impressed with me if I ever get to do that! I have gone past the one-time through, but that is only because I modify some of the exercises like I mentioned: not holding the entire bridge or plank. It's nice to have a goal to focus on and even if I can't do it all yet anyway, it's getting the job done, so I can't complain!

What I will whine about a bit is that I really am noticing, now that I am "officially" in my mid-forties, having turned 45 last Saturday (The picture at the top of the post is the gift my girls bought me from Simply Vintage for my birthday! I had long admired it at the shop and it was such a sweet surprise that they got it for me!), that my metabolism really is slowing a bit. I'm noticing that the workouts that have kept me in the shape I am comfortable being in for so many years are not as effective as they once were. I can see that I'm going to need to work harder... or at least differently -  to stay in the shape I hope to be in for a long time. I know that I'm going to need to add both different types of exercise as well as some speed intervals to my running. The "different types" has already come in the form of the added yoga and calisthenics. When we rejoin the community center come November for another 6 months, I'll be able to add more cross-training on the different machines, perhaps swimming, and/or a class. It's something to think about, but it's frustrating to think that I may need to add a bit more to the schedule when I'm just trying to keep up as it is. 

In regards to that schedule, I am noticing that trying to squeeze in a morning workout is just NOT working for me. I've done it, but I don't like cutting into my morning quiet time. I am better off if I can ease into my day rather than jump into it. Afternoons work better for me, so I'm going to need to take a look at that. I need my mornings for musing and preparing for the day, for reflecting on the days just past and on the days and season to come.


Today I took a little bit of time to begin freshening things up a bit around the house. I am currently up to my elbows in tomatoes, which is a blessed, but time-consuming thing, as I am pretty determined to cut and freeze as many as possible for the winter. Canning is a better choice, as you won't lose anything if the power goes out, but I just have no time for that this year. 



But, as the late summer sun is casting new angles about the kitchen and the temperatures have us reaching for cardigans and socks in the mornings, I've begun rummaging in the fall decor box, and have felt the urge to get things a bit spruced up before windows are shut tight once more. I moved some pictures around, hanging that new picture in place of another and moving the other to a new place... which meant moving what was there to a new place in perfect If You Give a Mouse a Cookie fashion. I've cleaned some glass and have more to do as well. Tomorrow should provide a bit of time to do that.


While I'm learning about the world of libraries and adjusting to the reality of my own need to let go of some of my own, as I told my sister the other day, "pseudo-Luddite fantasies," if I am, indeed going to be pursuing a career in Library Information technology, I am thankful for the more slower-paced facets I maintain in my own life. Knitting remains a touchstone for me amidst new schedules, new ideas, new learning interfaces, new concepts and new people. I've been gifted some birthday spending money for new yarn and though I will be casting on a new project soon, I am grateful and soothed by the familiar rhythm of the needles. I'll be sure to share that with all of you soon. 

Forgive my rambling nature today, please. I guess that's what happens when it's been 10 days since we've chatted. Have yourselves a lovely weekend and we'll talk again soon!

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...