Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Yarn Along




Today I'm linking up with Ginny over at her Small Things blog to join in with "Yarn Along." This is very much like my own "Making and Media Monday," but I never had a blog link-up for that. I thought I'd join in with other bloggers today and share. This is what Ginny writes about "Yarn Along":



The Yarn Along began in early Fall 2010 as a way to share knitting projects and good reads; motivating ourselves, and inspiring each other.  Every week knitters, and a few crocheters as well, link up and share a photo (or two) of what they are knitting and what they are reading.  Knowing that Yarn Along Wednesday is coming up is a great way to stay motivated to finish those projects!  And I, for one, am always on the lookout for a great book recommendation as well.

 In regards to my knitting, I am still working on my hat. That requires a bit more concentration, since it's got colorwork. Recently, I began volunteering at a neighborhood assisted living facility teaching (and sometimes just reminding) some of the residents how to knit. I needed a simple project to take along that I could pick up and put down as those in the group request help from time to time. So, I cast on a simple, vanilla sock out of some yarn I had in my stash from my Goodwill haul years ago. It is a "Three Sisters" sport weight superwash wool. That's not the strongest fiber for socks, but I'm going to get some help from my friend, Liz, showing me how to pre-darn and reinforce the spots that naturally wear out the quickest for me on my socks and hopefully that will help.




I finished my February Lady Sweater this past spring, but just hadn't gotten around to finding buttons for it. Thinking that I wanted to participate in this Yarn Along motivated me to go pick out some buttons and sew them on Monday night while I was watching "Rosemary and Thyme" on Netflix.




I am quite pleased with how the knitting turned out. I used Cascade 220 and chose red. I don't normally wear much red, but I started this sweater back in January. It was my new cast-on project for the new year and I know I was craving color in the midst of winter darkness.

I really like how the Cascade creates nice stitch definition.



The only think I'm not too pleased about with the sweater is that it feels slightly bulky under my arms. I think I could have done with perhaps 4 fewer garter-stitch rows there, but there's nothing to do about that now. I did try it on as I went, as it is a top-down construction and it appeared to be fitting well then. It was only after I attached the arms that it felt like there was a bit too much fabric under there. We'll see how I feel about it when I actually begin wearing it this winter.


September


Even though school is on the horizon, I thought I'd try to get in one more read before my summer break officially comes to an end. My friend, Marianna, gave the book, September, by Rosamunde Pilcher 5 stars on her Goodreads page. After reading a few other reviews, it seemed like just my kind of book! I'm almost halfway through and was captivated by the Scottish setting and Pilcher's descriptions right away. It took a while to get all the characters straight, but I think I've got them all by now. Now, I'm just waiting to see what will happen. There's been so much character introduction and background information that there hasn't been a great deal actually going on. Still, I'm sticking with it, because I do love the setting she's created and am curious to see what she'll do with plot.

Of course, once I was in the library, I couldn't help but sneak a glance at a few other book covers that caught my eye and, oh my, that is a slippery slope. So, instead of just having this book, I've got two others in line after it. I wonder if they'll just end up making a trip back to the library never having been opened. I hope not, but am thankful that they'll still be there if and when I want to read them again. And... if I do get to them, it's certainly more fodder for participating here!  What are you reading? Send me a note here in the comments, or feel free to friend me on Goodreads; I love to talk about books!

Hope you're enjoying your week. It's a hot one here. Not to bad being inside putting the finishing touches on my school planning. Have a great day!


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...