Monday, July 8, 2013

Mouse, Mitts, and Books!

Welcome to my second installment of "Making and Media Monday"!

First off, I am excited to share some news that is connected to last week's Making and Media Monday post! Perhaps you will recall that I had finished Maia's Longbourn Mitts and shared this picture with you:





Well, that same day I loaded that and a couple other images of my finished project onto my Ravelry project page. A couple days later, I popped back in and there was a message for me requesting the use of this photo for the pattern page! So, now, every time someone pulls up the Longbourn Mitts pattern on Ravelry, this photo, along with the designer's and some others' finished projects, will be featured. Oh, it made me so happy! Click on the link for yourself, and you'll see!



So, here is my current stack of reading goodness. All but Gladys Taber's Still Cove Journal are from the library.

Do you LOVE the library like I do? I love the library so much that I hope to work in one someday when the current homeschooling season of my life closes. To that end, I will begin pursuing some schooling in the autumn that will hopefully aid this endeavor. I won't be getting a Masters of Library Science, which is what one needs (and sometimes, I'm finding, an additional Masters degree in another field!) to become a full-fledged librarian. Library positions are actually challenging to find and there is a great deal of competition. At this point in my life, with about a year's worth of full-time schooling just to achieve my BA, I won't be pursuing that path. I'll leave that to the twenty-somethings with their whole career years ahead of them. I'd just like to one day work in a library, even if that means that I won't make an incredible salary, contribute to our girls' educations and add to our retirement savings.  One of the area community and tech colleges has an AA and Certificate program in "Library Information Technology" and that is the program I will begin to pursue this fall. I have enough undergrad work already accomplished that all I'll need to to is the specific program requirements So, this fall, I'll begin with one class to ease myself back into the swing of things while I continue teaching my girls. All of the classes for this coursework are online, and while I do prefer in-person classes, the convenience and flexibility this will offer me cannot be overlooked - especially as I drive one daughter south for her own college courses for PSEO (courses that earn you both high school and college credit) at the community college nearest us, and then drive both girls north to the co-op in which we continue to participate.

Whew! Well, I didn't imagine I'd talk about my own education plans quite yet, but there you have it. Anyway, I was going to say a bit about the summer reading I am enjoying. First of all, the reason I own Taber's Still Cove Journal is because it is in almanac fashion - each chapter representing a different month - and I love books like this. I love seasonal and monthly changes, love my wall calendars - especially my current Susan Branch calendar (that's the link to the 2014 calendar - I'm totally getting it!). In fact, even though I inevitably end up writing appointments on the next month's page, I never actually look at that month's picture until I officially turn the page! There's something special in every month and looking at the new month's page - especially all the great little bits that Susan includes in her artwork - is such a treat for me, along with my family's monthly tradition of saying "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit," before any other words escape our mouths on the morning of the first day of the month! If you remember to say it, you will have good things happen to you that month!

Plain Wisdom is next on the stack there. This is an easy-going, mild read and one you'll likely enjoy if you enjoy learning about Amish culture. I've long been interested in the Amish and have already learned a lot, so this book doesn't have much new for me. It's written by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud. Woodsmall is an "Englisher" (non-Amish) and Flaud is Amish. They became friends years ago, discuss how that happened a bit in this book, and then both write on a particular topic from each point of view. I'm about halfway through this book now and will probably give it a Goodreads rating of 3 stars. I like it, but I'm not blown away by it.

I haven't started Come to the Table yet. It's the second in the "Souled-Out Sisters" series (which seems to be a follow-up to the Yada-Yada series by the same author) by Neta Jackson. These are Christian stories in a contemporary Chicago setting. I really liked Stand by Me, the first in the "Souled-Out" series and expect I'll like this one too, since I'm currently reading and enjoying...

The Yada-Yada Prayer Group, also by Jackson. Jackson's style is consistent in this series and "Souled Out". What I like about her books is that the characters come from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds. It's their love of Christ that brings them together, but given the natural differences, very real trials ensue. It is a wonderful look at modern issues that can and do happen to everyone and the ways, the time and commitment, humbleness and forgiveness it takes to build and grow the church with the one focus of Jesus, even beyond our differences. This is not heavy reading, but it is thought-provoking and perfect for summer!

Finally, I have also just begun The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. This has been on my Goodreads "To-Read" list for a while now, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's the first in the "Books of Bayern" series and is listed as juvenile fiction. Eve is reading it along with me. This is not my typical genre - I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but hey, it's summer, and I thought I'd try something new.

I also just got notice that my audio book of The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson, who won a Pulitzer this year for this book, is waiting for me at the library! I am fascinated with North Korea, pray for this country regularly (won't you join me?) and look forward to giving this a listen!

Finally, this week I'm working on finishing up knitting a black mouse for Eve. This was her choice, as the Longbourn Mitts were Maia's. This is the Mel's Mouse Family pattern from the book Knit2Together by Mel Clark and Tracey Ullman.



I knit this pattern a couple of years ago for my neice, Celia. That mouse was white and, as you can see, Eve has chosen black. She wants it to have white ears and a white-tipped tail. This is a wonderfully-written and easy pattern and there are fun clothes to knit for the mousie too. I expect to be done with the mouse this week as long as I pick up some stuffing tomorrow. Then I'll make a sweater and skirt for her next.

Well, if you made it through this long post, I thank you and wish you a very happy Monday!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...