Thursday, July 25, 2013

Camp Menu & Links!



Tomorrow is the big day! We haven't been camping for a number of years and some rain is predicted... but isolated showers, so... we'll see! This will be our easy camping weekend - just the adults this time. Our group plans to potluck suppers and the other meals will be on our own. The campground, incidentally, is about 18 minutes from our house! So my first meal will be one that is made in my oven at home and warmed up over our camp stove! Not exactly roughing it, but that's not really what this weekend is about. What it is about is a good time with good friends; I'm all for it! :)

Today I am chopping veggies and making preparations.
 
The menu will be as follows:

Friday supper: Smoky Vegan Mac & Cheese w/Foil-Wrapped Fire-Roasted Veggies
Saturday breakfast:  Scrambled Tofu, English Muffins, Juice
Saturday lunch: Premade, fire-warmed bean, rice, & veggie burritos
Saturday supper: Pasta Salad w/Artichoke Hearts, Hummus & Pita Chips
Sunday breakfast: Everything Cereal

My girls called my raw oats with almond or soy milk breakfast, "Everything Cereal" years ago, because with the oats, I throw in a bunch of other things: raw apples, dates, raisins, molasses or maple syrup, nuts & seeds, and shredded coconut make regular appearances. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries show up in place of (or hey, in addition to!) the apples from time to time, especially if they are in season, or sometimes they're frozen. This is SO good and so filling and can even be made before you shower in the morning if you like your oats a bit softer. Leftovers can just go into the fridge, because you can still have it as a snack later.

This is the Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe. I follow it to a 'T' with the exception of adding a teaspoon of liquid smoke to the "cheese" sauce and it's just scrumptious!

Thought I'd share a couple other vegan-related posts with you, since I haven't done that in a while. These come from the Happy Herbivore site which is loaded with all kinds of information. She also has e-books and weekly meal plans available for purchase. She only charges $5 for a weekly meal plan which includes some recipes. I haven't purchased any because I've got a pretty extensive repertoire of my own meals and have been doing this for a long time as it is. Plus, I'm not afraid to jump onto the VegWeb site if I want something new. That said, if you have an interest in a plant-based diet and don't know where to start, the Happy Herbivore makes things really simple.

Here is an impressive post from the site, sharing a testimonial to her meal plans. The change in this man looks amazing. I would not have known he was the same man from the before and after photos.

And this article just touched me. This young man has really gone out on a limb being vegan in Caracas, Venezuela. It's not nearly as easy to eat a vegan diet in South America as it is in the U.S. His story is inspirational.

If you have a few minutes to spare, check out the links; I think you'll enjoy them! In the meantime, I'm back to chopping and packing. Have a lovely Thursday!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...