Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer Goals

Ahh, summer. It's nearly here. Our last day of school is on Thursday and we'll spend the morning at Como Zoo. My girls are kind of "big" for a zoo field trip, but Como offers so much! First, it's FREEEEEEE! Second, it also has a lovely conservatory and the summer flower show this year is inspired by the Impressionists. I LOVE the Impressionists, so I am really looking forward to that! Third, arriving when the zoo opens at 10:00 a.m. is absolutely the best time to go, because it's animal-feeding time! I was there once years ago at animal-feeding time and I actually heard a lion roar. I have never heard a lion roar at a zoo, so I knew then that it's worth it to be an early bird.

I usually have some sort of goals for my summers. This year (again) will be pretty much moving-focused (aaaahhh... almost there, almost done!) and so, though that is still before me I have a few ideas I hope to get to.

I do hope to get some good reading done - maybe two works of fiction. I am such a non-fiction reader and despite many attempts and goals (and even blog posts about them), I still don't read nearly as much fiction. So two should be accomplishable, right?

Two days until June. I found myself mentioning to a friend of mine that if I want to knit some Christmas presents, I should probably get started on them now too. Wouldn't that be a smart thing? Yes it would. Now that would be a wonderful accomplishment! Notice I'm not committing. I'm thinking about it. I hope my November self won't have to be angry at my June self later this year. Perhaps I should be making out that goal list...

I've got Twin Cities sight-seeing plans for us as a family, since so much is new to the girls. Money is going toward moving in, not getting out of town, so it's a stay-cation this year for us. Of course, as I said, so much is new to them anyway, so we are definitely playing the tourist in our own cities!

Screen-Free Wednesdays are also part of the plan. Despite the 90-minute limit each girl has, the computers still see a lot of use, as they are sitll used for school and background music. So, we're going to disconnect on Wednesdays. They can still listen to their mp3 players, since they don't have a radio or stereo, but I just want our faces away from screens. I'll check my e-mail at the end of the day for work purposes (some of you do and some of you don't know that I am a Mary Kay consultant), but that will be it. Strangely - or not-so strangely - enough, neither girl raised any objection to the idea, so it ought to be interesting! We'll see how long we'll keep up the practice.

Tomorrow I've planned an evening picnic with my family for supper after work. We'll meet down at Harriet Island just for dinner and a bit of walking around. I'll be bringing the potato salad I mentioned in yesterday's post. And here's a tip:

Did you know that you can keep your potatoes from getting mushy when you boil them by adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to your pot of water? It's so easy and so perfect for potato salad! You don't taste the vinegar, but it hardly matters, since you'd be making a salad anyway.

One more potato tip:

Perhaps you've found that if you try to cut up potatoes and save them to cook later, they, like apples, turn color. If you'd like to cut up potatoes ahead of time you can, as long as you cover them with water. Then, just store them in the fridge. They should keep without turning for a day or two.

Alright, that's all I've got for today! Off to the library. I've got one book of fiction and one non on hold. I wonder which one I'll read first! ;)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...