Friday, March 25, 2011

Messing Around and Spilling Over

This month's Sketchbook Challenge was titled, "Spilling Over".  I was kind of stumped by this one, but just decided to sit down one day and work it out.

Given that we are preparing our home for market, there isn't a whole lot of time to devote to outside, recreational projects. So I was thumbing through my new book, Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun by Carla Sonheim. I found this fun, cool technique in there for doing a portrait using an eyedropper and ink and voila!  I was in business!  I just thumbed through a magazine and picked out some fashion photos. I didn't have a lot of time and I just wanted to play - to mess around.

I didn't have any ink, but I did have some bottles of concentrated watercolor that actually have their own droppers with them. After you outline the picture with the dropper, you cover it with a piece of toilet paper and then quickly lift off. The result is so cool - it looked very much like a print to me; so fun! 



Over the next couple of days I added color after the original outlines dried. I gave the one above kitty ears, because my younger daughter loves to wear them and the guitar is because my older is learning to play.


Unfortunately, since this was all watercolor and not ink, things really did smudge (spill over!) a bit more than I might have liked, but this was all just experiment anyway - just play.

I came in one day and found what I'm pretty sure was evidence of real-life kitties on the table (a no-no!) overnight. Smudges on the redhead just wouldn't go away. Oh, well.



And the last one got a little bit of magazine page jewelry for a necklace and a bracelet.



All in all, I like my little collection and will likely share this exercise with my art students. This was a good exercise in loosening up for me. I'm usually much more precision-oriented, so this was good practice for me.


Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...