Friday, February 11, 2011

February Sketchbook Challenge: Opposite


This month's Sketchbook Challenge theme is "Opposite." I decided to do the metaphorical representation of the dual nature of Christ as depicted in the familiar Lion and the Lamb.  In additon to the subject matter, I limited my color palette to black and white, blue and orange.  Blue and orange are complementary colors, found opposite each other on the color wheel.

I sketche this out in my Moleskine watercolor sketchbook.  It is worked in pencil, watercolor, charcoal, and watercolor pencil.  I have never limited myself to a certain color palette before, but have admired others' use of this technique.  I really liked doing it and hope to do more of it in the future!



Above is just a peek at the whole of my sketchbook.  The left-hand sketch is just one I did last week while my younger daughter was at her horseback riding lesson.  That's a sketch of "Archie Pony," the pony she rides and so named because there also is an "Archie Horse" that resides at the same stables.  I wanted to get a sketch of my daughter brushing him (which is why he has the chains on his bridle), but I ran out of time and she was off and eager to ride!

I'm happy that I have challenged myself with the Sketchbook Challenge this year.  This challenge and the book that came for me in the mail last week, Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun by Carla Sohneim, has put sketching back up there in the front of my brain.  I confess that it does not occupy the same kind of space that my knitting does, but it is still important to me and I don't want it to fall by the wayside.  I like that it exercises my mind in a different way. 

More than even each individual piece for me is the pleasure of looking over the whole sketchbook.  It is not so much for me to create something magnificent every time, but instead, just to do it, because I find that even pieces that disappointed me in the past are things that I return to look at with fondness and I'm so much gladder for having done it than having created nothing at all.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...