Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Word of the Year :: Flow

close up to lower water falls looking up stream just before falls showing rapids in river waterfall yellowstone wyoming canyon wy


"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'" - James 4:13-14

The river or stream or brook all move along with varying degrees of power.  What they all share though, is that when facing an obsacle, they are able to move around and beyond it.  Whether or not the obstacle is removed, the water continues on.  The obstacle may not be changed, but the stream learns how to change and adapt so that it can continue on its course toward its ultimate goal.

I had been puzzling over what my word of the year was going to be for a couple of weeks.  I can tell you I'm not feeling over-ambitious these days and I wanted to be careful if I was even going to give myself a word of the year at all.  I was replying to a post over at another
 blog the other day and was explaining why I didn't have as many goals for this new year as I have had in years past and I found myself saying that what I'm really going to need to be able to do this year is go with the flow.  And there it was.  And it's perfect for now.

There is a big undertaking in our future, which I am not quite ready to share here, but it is one through which I will need to remain flexible and trusting.  Really, this is the way I feel I really always ought to behave, remembering always that things are not my will or my way, but God's.  This is something I have been working on in 2010:  yielding and giving up my expectations to what God has in mind.  This remains challenging for me and I therefore consider it a good lesson to be mulled over and worked out even more in 2011. It's application is broad and needed in many areas of my life and so, "flow" it is.

As for goals or resolutions for this year, I have very few.  I just want a couple that will be easy to remember and that really ought to be accomplishable.

1 - I want to write more.  I want to show up here more consistently.  I want to add to my regular, years-old journaling practice with more focused writing practice.  I have begun doing this over the past week, working my way through Lisa Garrigues' Writing Motherhood which is the first purchase I made on my new Kindle that Paul gave me for Christmas (thank you, Sweetheart!).

2 - I want to knit a well-fitting sweater for myself.  I have knit one that fits me by luck; one that has an irritating neck opening I don't like so well, but wear anyway; one that is too big because I listened to someone else's idea of how I should fit the sweater to me, but I wear it anyway too; one I ended up giving to my mom because it didn't fit and another that was gifted to my sister for the same reason.  So that's 5 sweaters and only one that fits me due to more luck than preparation.  So, I will not only be making guage swatches this year, but also washing them and blocking them.  I will also take my measurements before beginning.  Simple things, but oh-so-necessary.

3 - Finally, I will use my camera more.  If I become a better photographer, it will be a bi-product of more use.  I don't have time to explore my camera's capabilities, but I do just want to use it more and part of that is simply for this space too.

So, that's it!  I hope to succeed, but will remember to be gentle with myself if something gets in the way.  I will, after all, be going with the flow!

***
Image courtesy of Tim Pearce.

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...