Friday, July 16, 2010

Step Two: Wet Yourself!

Going Lightly One Step at a Time Series
That's right.  For my North American friends, the temperature is soaring and it is a good time to just wet yourself.  Now, of course, I don't mean to simply go swimming (because I'm sure that's what you thought I meant, right?).  ;)  No, I'm talking about your time in the shower.

My mom's partner, Jerry, calls them "navy showers," because he learned to shower this way when he was in the navy.  Just as you've probably heard and teach your children to not let the water run while you are brushing your teeth, the same could be said of showering.  Now, I'll admit that as a cold-natured person, I like to keep that warm water on me in the wintertime.  But, certainly in warmer temperatures, there is no good reason not to simply wet yourself, turn off the water, soap up, and then rinse off.  It seems counterintuitive, doesn't it, to be trying to soap up one's body while simultaneously standing under or trying to avoid a constant stream of running water?  It only takes a moment to shut off that water, but it will literally save gallons and I don't think I have to tell you what a precious, limited resource water has become.  (If that is new information to you, do a search online or talk to your local park ranger or county extension office and you will find oodles of information that ought to convince you.)

And, like brushing your teeth, don't forget about turning off that water while washing your hands or even your produce.  Again, wet those hands, turn off the water to soap up, and then rinse. Quick and easy, doesn't cost you a thing, may save you some money, and will definitely be kinder to our planet.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...