Thursday, June 24, 2010

Small Changes

The last couple of posts have held ideas for making changes regarding our plastic consumption.


Remembering that


plastic = oil,



I have begun to work on slowly reducing the plastic that literally surrounds me. I had a good opportunity to begin this past Tuesday. I had run out of my liquid dish soap and have decided not to replace it. I have one of those soap-in-the-handle-thingys too. The scrub sponge part is looking pretty nasty and I didn't have any of those replacements either, so let's see if I can "cut two carrots with one knife" (as Colleen Patrick Goudreau would say, because we both really like birds and wouldn't even want to kill one with a stone!) by getting rid of both the soap and the thingy and see if I can save myself some money too.



My new set-up is crocheted cotton around a bar of glycerine soap and a jar with baking soda with holes punched in the lid for easy sprinkling and scrubbing.  It kind of looks like milk and a cookie, doesn't it?


The crochet is just a quick pattern I made up.  It took me less than an hour and I was able to use cotton from a sweater I'd unravelled and recycled! Bonus!!



I cut another piece of yarn when I was done and wove it in and out of the ending round of crochet, creating a drawstring.  I knotted it so it would stay tight, but I made a loop so that I could cut it when the soap runs out and then re-string with another drawstring.



I'm also trying to switch my seemingly millions of food storage containers to glass.  I have 3 with plastic lids and I found two new round ones today (one shown on the left) with glass lids, which is what I really want.  That is acutally a baking/freezing container, which is just what you can do with the food storage ones too, but it is round.  I found it at the grocery store and noticed that it was $3.00 cheaper than the food storage ones are advertised as being.  Why??  Because they are round and not square and therefore won't store as neatly?  It bugs me, but whatever.  I do have one rectangular container (shown on right) that is vintage that I got at an antique mall a while back.  I actually used it upside down as a butter dish for the longest time, until I found the cool little butter dish  at Goodwill that I use now.


I also took a huge number of plastic bags from bread and the free newspapers that are delivered with me to the grocery store where they have a bin for recycling plastic bags.  I always wonder where they go?  Since our dog, Lucy, died in April there's no more picking up after her waste in the yard and that is pretty much what I used the bags for.  I also use the bags for purchasing bulk dry goods and storing some produce in the fridge, but I am going to be making some smaller cloth bags for those jobs.  I'll share those when I get around to that project too.  For now, I'm happy with my little soap project.  I hope it's something that will work for our family!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...