Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thirsty

Image courtesy of allposters.com

Wow! We are finally, finally getting a wee bit of rain here. It really needs to pour something awful, but I guess we have to be happy for what we can get. Everything's crispy, crispy and wildfires are cropping up here and there. There are advertisements on the radio urging water conservation more and more these days. Especially since the Tampa Bay water reservoir has dried up. Serious and scary stuff.


While I don't live in Tampa, I do see the effects of the drought. We walked across dry land on what used to be a pond last year just last week. And I'm honestly wondering if it is worth it for us to keep our vegetable garden growing anymore. It's so backwards to me to understand that our growing season is also our dry season here in FL. I've thought about a rain barrel, but we've had so very little rain that it wouldn't have made a difference at this point. I get more water from keeping two watering cans in my shower. You should try that too! We also keep a container under our kitchen sink for emptying half-drunk glasses of water left by guests.


April's issue of Country Living Magazine has some terrific tips for reducing your environmental impact. I know these tip lists are all over the place, but you never know when one is going to stick. One regarding water that most people may not know about concerns washing your car.


CL says:


Scrub down your wheels at a car wash, not at home, because a drive-through uses less than half the water per car than the typical do-it-yourselfer and many establishments recycle their soap water.


On another, happier thirsty note:


I have had an insatiable desire for lemonade of late! But not just any lemonade! Nope. My new obsession is Maple Lemonade. A neighbor introduced the recipe to me. It's just:


A little lemon juice in the bottom of your glass

A little maple syrup next - maybe an equal or little bit less amount than the juice

ice

Then fill to the top with water


Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!!!


Now, I'll admit that this taste combination may not be for everyone, but I, for one, cannot get enough of it and I have the hands of a mad, lemon-juicing woman (and frozen pints and quarts of the stuff thanks to Mom and Jerry's tree) to prove it!


For those of you who don't like the taste - though I do challenge you to try it at least once (and you may need to up the maple syrup to make yourself reeeeeallly happy with it) - agave nectar is a wonderful substitute for the classic, white sugar taste of old-fashioned lemonade without the refined stuff.


Let me know if you give it a try!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...