Monday, February 23, 2009

Latest Creative Pursuits

Remember this sweater? Well, the picture above is the first teeny little cable section on the way to this yarn being recyled into this: the Kepler pullover, a free Ravelry download. It's a bit short for my body type, though, I think. I'll likely add an inch or two to the body for length.


I'll confess that it has taken me a little while to get the hang of unravelling and begin to do it well. It's hard to imagine that unravelling a sweater would be at all a challenge, but if you want to achieve one long piece of yarn instead of many separate pieces, knowing how to de-construct a sweater is essential. After struggling for quite a while with the navy blue sweater, I finally did a search on YouTube and found the answer to all my problems. The link is to the first of a two-part series.

Hmm... I haven't quite figured out how to post a video from YouTube here yet. I'll post it if I can.



In the meantime, more knitting/crochet news.

The crocheted blanket is coming along nicely. The colors scare me a bit sometimes (so many!), but I have been craving color, so I'm just going with it. The colors in my living room are rather subdued, but I am wanting more brights lately. I'll post pictures the closer I get to finishing it up.

Other than the blanket and the sweater, I'm also working on a scarf made from some bamboo fiber given to me this past summer. I'm pretty close to being done with that one and will have photos of that to post soon too.

In the meantime, Eve has been improving on her own skills and doing some designing of her own.


This little, red, cotton scarf is a pattern that she came up with herself (though I'm sure the idea has been tried and is out there in the knitting ether somwhere). First she used crochet to chain an entire ball of the yarn and then she knitted her chain! I think it made such a pretty pattern and she was thrilled with the result.

Speaking of craving color, I picked up these two pillows this weekend at Goodwill. The orangey pillow is made with really cool fabric that looks more pink from certain directions and more orange from the other. The nice thing about having a neutral couch is that you can change the look with the accessories.





I'd planned on picking up a few more, again, to add some punch to my living room, but after taking a closer look at the budget, we may need to be practicing being satisfied with what we've got for a while. :) Oh, well. Maybe I'll figure out some other ways to add more color. Necessity is the mother of invention and it has always proved to be an impetus for me in nearly all my home decorating.

Hope you're finding ways to get creativity into your days. What have you been up to creatively lately?



Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...