Sunday, January 25, 2009

Links and Books and News From the Sidelines

I've been feeling like this (and this is a wonderful website if you have any of these folks in your family!) lately and I think that is why I haven't been here in a few days. I keep thinking that I should pop in and have something to say, but I've felt a bit like a turtle in her shell. Not unhappy, mind you; just regrouping I think.

In the meantime, I have been working on crocheting my afghan, knitting on the blanket our knitting group is doing for Project Linus, and reading. As I've mentioned before, I am not a big fiction reader; I prefer non-fiction books. But my mother's book club is going to be watching The Secret Life of Bees after they all finish the book and she invited me to watch it with them. So, I'm reading it. I'm enjoying it... though not LOVING it. That's not to say it isn't good. Not at all. I'm just a tough audience I think, considering that I prefer biographies and other non-fiction, etc.

That said, I am curious. Have any of you jumped on the Twilight wagon? Am I the only one who hasn't? I am curious because I hear so many women raving about it. Now, I love a good love story, but, if you are Christian, have you read it? I am not asking if I think it would be okay to read it... I am just wondering if the subject matter is too... creepy. I could be completely wrong. And then again, I also know myself. For someone who counts A Girl of the Limberlost and Anne of Green Gables as some of her all time favorite books, I don't know if this would be for me. It's not that I've never read anything creepy. There was a time in my life when I read a couple of the Anne Rice books about vampires. But that was also a different time in my life, before I returned to Christ... and I did a lot of things differently. I wouldn't read them now. I don't belive that it is sinful to read it... but I do prefer to read things that line up with Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I don't follow this lovely scripture - one of my favorites - legalistically. I just find that it works quite brilliantly for me and I always feel good when I do.

So, if you have read the Twilight books, would you please share with me what you think of them?

And speaking of books, I got hooked up with Goodreads through Facebook recently. Like so many cool tools on the internet, I find I have only so much time to thoroughly enjoy all that it has to offer, but I have enjoyed looking around on it from time to time.

The website linked at the top was something I found today on StumbleUpon which is another cool, new-to-me site. And do you know about Pandora? Given that I have no discresionary income for music these days, I am loving having new artists introduced to me through this incredible site.

Yet, there are only so many hours in my day and some days I really struggle with spreading myself too thin. Among Facebook, my blog, your blogs, Ravelry, Goodreads, Flickr, and more, I often struggle with balance. Certainly no one is making me do these things. No, I truly enjoy them, but I think the myriad of selections becomes almost a mental agitation... too much stimulus, as the site on introversion suggests and I find myself retreating from time to time. This is good for me, I know. Good for all of us really. But I may need it more than the next person, so forgive me friends, when I am gone for a string of days from time to time.

I sincerely admire those of you who manage to post with greater frequency and always love to see your latest entries. Believe me when I say that when I am away from here I am still thinking of all of you. Yet, for as chatty as I may be on the page, I am more often - unless with a small, intimate group of people - a quiet one observing from the sidelines.

Well, I hope you all have had a lovely weekend! Mom treated us to Riverdance and while we all agreed that the singing and whatever the narrator was saying (we had a hard time understanding him) was over-the-top cheesy, the dancing was truly fantastic - inspiring! Today with nicer weather than we've had of late, we took a nice, long bike ride with friends. I hope you're all rested up and ready for the week before you. Look for me to pop in and say hello; I've come out of my shell for a while. :)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...