Monday, January 5, 2009

Knits for the New Year



How I have been enjoying my knitting the past few days!! I have some fairly easy, comfortable patterns that I am doing that are providing such a nice rhythm to my evenings in the rocking chair, listening to a podcast or watching a post-season football game with my husband (or sometimes doing both!).


This weekend, Eve and I began unraveling what was the beginnings of a blanket. A friend of mine, this past summer, knowing Paul was unemployed at the time and that I was not buying any yarn, brought me a garbage bag FULL of beautiful yarn that a friend of hers wanted to de-stash. I have been able to use so much of it already. Many of the colors were actually not the colors I ordinarily knit with, but they make for fine gifts and charity knitting. One color, though, was one I was attempting to get to by unravelling said blanket. The color is more of a raspberry and will fit so nicely in the blanket I am so excited to crochet. It is a granny-square blanket, but I am excited to begin with all the different colors.



Recycling old yarn is one thing that seems right up my alley, don't you think? I haven't found any sweaters yet at Goodwill, because I haven't really needed any yarn for a particular project with all the Christmas knitting I was doing, but I hope to try it sometime this new year. Unravelling the blanket was a good place to start practicing. The footstool provided the perfect apparatus to wrap the yarn around:




Eve loves to unravel the yarn and so between the two of us, we did the first, lighter pink in the blanket. Medium pink will be next and then the raspberry. After winding it around my stool, I tied a loop of other yarn around each end of the oval, soaked the yarn, gently squeezed out the excess water, and then hung it. I looped one end around a plastic hanger and then used another hanger with a towel clipped to it to hang on the other end of the yarn to straighten out the fibers. I didn't take a picture of that, but I'll try to remember to do that next time.


Finally, I finished another hat from Soule Mama's pattern. I did 3 of these at Christmas and loved it so much I made one for myself. I made it from some Bernat Bamboo I had leftover from a baby gift I knitted last summer. The color is Linen and the yarn has quickly become one of my very favorites. SO soft and squishy.


It's a good hat for Florida... as you see, we don't get too many cold days! :) But we do get some cool ones and bamboo is a naturally cooler fiber. A soft light hat for chilly days - we do actually get some of those!




Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...