Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Preparations for the New Year and a Cool, New Something


Reality is beginning to creep back into my days. We will start school again on Monday, so I am knee-deep in lesson planning and organizing. Earlier this week, as I'd mentioned, I reorganized my closet - so nice and fresh when I walk in there. I want everything to feel like that clean, little space. I cleaned off my desk in my bedroom yesterday and I have some ideas for the desk in the kitchen. I wish I could do some major rearranging somehow, just for fun and to feel excited as we head into the new year. I don't know if that 's a reality, though; we only have so much room. I'll magage to find little changes I can make to give things a little lift. If I do decide to do something fun, I'll try to remember to take before and after pictures. I always like those.




Tomorrow, as is our annual tradition, we will put our Christmas decorations away. Unlike in years past, however, I will be keeping the nativity scene out for the wise men to arrive on Dec. 6.


I also need to have a kitchen factory day. I made grapefruit juice the other day, but the tangelos are begging to be picked and juiced and I also need to take care of the bag of lemons my mom brought over oh-so-long ago. I'll juice those and freeze the juice for cooking and cleaning.

The garden continues to give regular little treats. The carrots aren't full-grown yet, but I keep adding the thinned ones to sauteed greens and smoothies. Some volunteer tomatoes have popped up. I purposely didn't plant any this year, because I've been so frustrated with them the last couple of years. But I'm certainly not going to pull out perfectly healthy volunteers, so we'll see what happens.



Have you see this?

Better World Books

I heard an interview with the founders of this awsome book selling site yesterday on Sierra Club Radio. This is going to be my first stop for online book shopping from now on!


Here is a brief synopsis of their mission:


Better World Books collects and sells books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide. With more than two million new and used titles in stock, we’re a self-sustaining, triple-bottom-line company that creates social, economic and environmental value for all our stakeholders.


There is so much cool stuff about this company that you really owe it to yourself to hop over there and have a read. There are a number of easy ways to participate in the good work that they're doing - from donating your used books to purchasing new and used books from their site. They even work through Amazon.com's used books - just look for BetterWorld booksellers. But the best way to help (since Amazon takes a chunk of the profit) and make sure that your dollars are going to a company that really gives back, is to go directly to their site. It's a great idea and is a really postive way to head into 2009.


Have a safe and happy new year, everyone! I'll be back tomorrow with my resolutions and word of the year.

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...