Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Plans and a Major Award

Just got back from the second Thanksgiving grocery run. *sigh* No one seems to have chestnuts (not water chestnuts) in a jar. I did purchase some regular chestnuts for roasting, which we love, love, LOVE this time of year, but I am certainly not going to roast and peel all the chestnuts I might need for the new Chestnut Stuffing recipe I want to try. Oh, well. It looks like a good recipe anyway, even without the chestnuts...

One thing I was very gratified to see in all my marketing about town was the number of folks I have seen remembering their cloth bags!! Hooray! Reflecting on this, I really have to wonder why it took stores so long to wise up about selling cloth bags. People actually PAY to give you free advertising (if and when you buy a store bag) and then you don't have to purchase so many yucky plastic bags to give away.

I think I have everything I need now for our big day here on Thursday. Our menu will be as follows:

Jasmine and Wild Rice over Acorn Squash with Braised Vegetables
Green Beans with Walnuts and Shallot Crisps
Chestnut (?) Stuffing
Wheat Berry Salad with Pomegranate
Cranberry Chutney
Garlicky Mashed Potatoes
Dinner Rolls
Raw Veggies and Dip
Spiced Cider
Red and White Wine
Pecan and Pumpkin Pie (vegan)
Pumpkin Pie (non-vegan)

Oh yes... and Mom is bringing along a rather unfortunate bird. :( But I did want you all to see the beauty and plenty and life of our table without that other unfortunate tradition. When folks wonder aloud what we eat at Thanksgiving, there is SO much.

There is so much, in fact, that I am doing my cooking in little pieces this year. Tonight I will be toasting nuts, soaking the wheat berries, and preparing the shallots. Tomorrow I will make the pies and the Wheat Berry Salad with Pomegranate, prepare the vinaigrette for the green beans, chop the onions and the fennel, and cut and set out bread for the stuffing. Then, hopefully, I will be able to more peacefully enjoy my Thanksgiving morning preparations with the sounds of the Macy's parade and then the dog show in the living room. I can go in now and then and check out the marching bands - my favorite part of the parade.

The first gathering of the Knit Wits was a great deal of fun. A couple of people couldn't make it, but I am sure our group will slowly grow. Eve, who already knows how to knit, was shown how to make a crochet chain and she is insisting on chaining the entire yarn ball. Then her grand plan is to knit from that chain! Well, we'll see how that all turns out!


Don't let Maia fool you here! She is concentrating, not on knitting or crocheting, but on her Nintendo DS!! She's not as into crafts as the rest of us are, but she had a great time battling Pokemon and sipping her tea along with us and our coffee.



*****


Finally, my friend Jennifer has given me an award. In fact, it is a Major Award! Ooooo, aaahhhhh. :) Darned if I could tell you, though, what exactly the picture is...

Oh, well. Anyway this award, "acknowledges the values that every blogger shows in his/her effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values every day."

The rules are:

1. Accept the award and post it on your blog along with a link to the person who has awarded you.

2. Pass the award on to 15 other blogs that are worthy of this acknowledgment. Remember to contact each of them to let them know they have been chosen for this award.

And now the fun part for me: picking other blogs! Check out these award winners if you haven't already. :) If you already have this award ladies, then I know I'm in good company when I say, "I concur!"


Cardinal Acre
Handmade Homeschool
Harmony Art Mom
Like Merchant Ships
Morning Ramble
Living, Learning, and Loving Simply
By Sun and Candlelight
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...