Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Second-Hand News


One of the very well-received gifts we got for our girls last year was five dollar gift certificates to the Goodwill bookstore in our town. I've written of this wonderful place before. It is set up like a "new-book" bookstore, with well-arranged, themed areas and nice places to sit. Most books cost about $2.99 and most children's books are .99 or just over a dollar. Five dollars goes a long way in there for my girls. They can easily walk out with a bunch of .79 comic books or 3 chapter books.

There are more than just books there, though. They have videos and DVD's too and there are often some surprised tucked in amongst the shelves: a brand new set of watercolor pencils in the art books, little stuffed animals in the children's area. It's a wonderful place to relax and browse and spend a good hour.

I did that on Sunday when I picked up two more gift certificates. I was also looking for a copy of The Message Bible, but no such luck. However, I did find some treasures that I am equally excited about:

I have been a fan of Emilie Barnes for a long time, but have never actually purchased one of her books - just read them from the library. So when I found, If Teacups Could Talk, I eagerly grabbed it up. I don't have regular tea parties, though I've had a few, but after reading this, I may just have to have some more. In any event, it has wonderful, creative ideas regarding hospitality and I always enjoy reading about that.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find the book on braiding hair. It is one of those high-quality Klutz books that I love so much; they always have wonderful pictures and nicely-detailed instructions. We had borrowed a similar Klutz book from some friends, but it was primarily for children. This book of hairstyles is aimed at a more mature audience and I am excited to look over the beautiful styles.

Finally, I found this Bible study that I'm sure many of you have already read before, A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. Along with it was a study guide, both in perfect condition, so I decided to give them a try, as I was wanting some more direction in my quiet times. So far, all I can say is this book is perfect for right now; such a God thing. I am so thankful. Just one chapter in and I'm already loving it.

I know that I will have some thoughts to share as I go through the book. One thing I am thankful for this year is all the abundant resources our country has - second hand.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...