Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome to June

Hello all and welcome to the warm, sunny month of June! :) For my friends in Australia, though, I suppose things are pretty chilly these days. How is your weather down there?

Whew! Well, it's been a busy weekend of checking off chores and I'm ready for a nap! But, alas, it is 6:21 p.m. at the moment and napping at this point will never do! So, I figured I may as well plug ahead and put up a post! :)

I've just spent the last two hours typing up the two curriculum lists I used for the girls this year. We will have our evaluations on Wednesday and this is essentially the last thing I needed to do to get ready. I am happy it is out of the way, but I really do somewhat enjoy the task, because it takes me on a little mental voyage of everything we did this year; it's always quite a bit more than I think it is.

I am looking forward to tomorrow because I have set aside time for finally getting to organizing those book closets (see the post below!). I'm just in an organizing, spring-cleaning kind of mood. I also plan to give the whole kitchen a good scrub: pull small appliances off the counters, get the crumbs and dust out of little cracks and maybe rearrange a little bit on the countertops. Somehow even the little bit of rearranging freshens things up a bit. I'll be putting a tablecloth on our little breakfast table that also serves as our school space. The tablecloth will signify that school is officially closed for the summer! :)

Okay... technically, we're still going to poke around in math 2 days a week, but no major assignments. Also, we'll continue to play our recorders once-a-week and do Spanish once-a-week just to keep from getting rusty. But this coming week, for sure, is free and clear! We'll even head out to the beach on Tuesday with some friends.

I thought I would do what many folks do and that would be to post a menu for the week. The only reason I will be doing this, though, is that I often have people ask me, upon hearing that I am vegan, "What do you eat?!" So, I thought I'd list our menus here for a while so that everyone could see the wide variety of our meals as well as the fact that they are pretty normal! :) I realize that there are some ingredients that some folks aren't as familiar with and which are associated with vegetarianism: i.e. tofu and tempeh. But they are not exclusive to vegetarians and are really very easy to cook with and very, very good.

Summertime also means we will be re-instituting our "Adventures in Cooking" series (see sidebar subjects for last year's fun), which simply means that Eve will cook with me on Tuesdays and Maia on Thursdays. Wednesdays are still dinners at Camp Grandma's, so that will reflect itself on our menus too. We've also decided to try categories or themes for each day to make meal selection simpler. We thought we try it for a while and see how it goes as well as see how many meals we can make within said category.

Sunday - Soup - Split Pea Soup with Onion Bagels and Fruit
Monday - Mexican - Hard and Soft-Shell Tacos with all the fixin's including Fresh Guacamole and Salsa! Yum!
Tuesday - Eve's night - Pancakes and Fruit Salad
Wednesday - Camp Grandma!
Thursday - Maia's night - Omlets for the vegetarians and Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burritos for the vegans (Eve's gone vegan too :) ), Green Beans and Fruit Smoothie
Friday - Baked Eggplant This will be a new one for the family. We'll see how it goes.
Saturday - Pizza!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...