Monday, June 30, 2008

A Simple, Frugal Week



I am ready for the new week! Joining in with Peggy again for the Simple Woman's Daybook. You can join in too or read what others are up to right here!

FOR TODAY June 30, 2008...
Outside My Window... the pond is still, dew is on the grass, and the air is thick. The sky doesn't look to heavy yet... I think I'll be able to get the laundry out before afternoon showers.

I am thinking... about ways to cut corners and stretch our dollars and continue to make lasting, enjoyable memories with my family this summer.

I am thankful for... God's constant provision. Saturday night my neighbor called me to come over with my daughter and go through 7 bags of clothing which had been donated to her and whomever would like them. We were thrilled to find a number of things we wanted and a few we actually needed. I couldn't believe that I found a dressy pair of low-heeled sandals. My old pair had finally broken after many years and this pair fit perfectly even though the size was printed as one half-size smaller than what I normally wear. Even more, there was no leather on the very pretty shoes - something I have been trying to avoid. God is so sweet. :)

From the kitchen... I soaked, cooked, and froze more beans yesterday. I made polenta for this morning's breakfast: Fried Polenta (in Earth Balance margarine - trans-fat-free and vegan) with Watermelon and Cantaloupe on the side. Yesterday, I also made a yummy wheat berry salad that we'll be able to munch on for a few lunches this week. Apple juice and smoothies have found their way into popsicle molds. More home-made baked goods will be treats for the week; nothing store-bought for our emergency budget (much better for everyone anyway!). This week's Frugal Vegan Menu looks like this:

Monday - Minestrone Soup with Onion Bagels (bought from bakery outlet store) and Salad with Rita's Homemade Dressing
Tuesday - Pizza
Wednesday - Spaghetti and Salad at Camp Grandma's! :)
Thursday - Polenta Tofu Veggie Quiche (a new recipe - we'll see how it goes)
Friday - 4th of July Cookout at Camp Grandma's
Saturday - Veggie Burgers and Home-Baked Fries
Sunday - Leftovers

I am wearing... right now my workout clothes from this morning's workout with the wonderful PBS show, "Body Electric."

I am creating... a knit tank with ruffle for Eve; I made one for her sister last summer. I'll also be starting a pair of fingerless gloves for me.

I am going... to be making a hot breakfast for my family, hanging out laundry, and then giving our Westie, Lucy, a bath and then a haircut. The haircut may be tomorrow, though, depending on how fast she dries!

I am reading... Gracious Christianity and continuing the study with Living More with Less. I'll also begin looking at my gardening books to get ideas for the autumn garden.

I am hoping... we will hear good news this week regarding employment opportunities for my husband. Please pray for us if you think to do so today. :)

I am hearing... my parrot, Pistachio, "singing" (squawking) her morning "song."

Around the house... are the hushed voices of my girls talking quietly with Daddy on the couch. The whites are waiting to be put into the wash. Paul began pulling out an old hedge yesterday, so more space is beginning to show in the front flower beds and we can dream of what we might put there one of these days.

One of my favorite things... is snipping out pretty images for my journal and letter-writing. You can read more about that here.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:
We'll go to the library tomorrow. Then on Wednesday we've planned a morning trip out to Emerson Point, a state park, for a bit of hiking around before the temperatures soar and the afternoon rain comes.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

Mmmm. Cherries are in season! Mom bought us a nice bunch the other day. Thanks, Mom! :)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...