Thursday, June 5, 2008

LMwL - RAL - Learn From the World Community


This is a picture of my kitchen taken in February. Pretty much the same today, except that we just
installed a white dishwasher last night.

Continuing with our study today. Even if you are not reading the book, the questions are good food for thought! Please feel free to participate in the discussion in the comments section; we'd love to have you join us! :)

A few questions for discussion here might be:

Do you find that you own unnecessary kitchen gadgets?

I have pared down a number of things, but I do have a Vita Mix (which was given to me) that I use every day and a food processor that I use almost every day. I have a coffee grinder (also given to me) that I use for grinding flax seeds and nuts. It’s a convenience thing, because I don’t have to get the food processor dirty. I have an electric countertop mixer that I got at a thrift store. I use this to make bread and cakes, but I don’t really like to bake a lot, so it doesn’t get used quite as much. I think Amish women would tell me to go ahead and get rid of it! :) And I do know that my eating style/preparations would be quite different if we didn’t have electric power. Do you ever think about that?

We just installed a new dishwasher last night too. Our old one was 11 years old. That doesn't seem that old to me, but I guess it is for dishwashers nowadays. After 2 weeks of doing dishes by hand - and having them take over my kitchen counter space, I am welcoming the new arrival! It is a Bosch and is rated one of the highest for environmental standards and energy efficiency. We spent a little more for that, but I am happy knowing that it aligns with our values and will save us money in the long run. Of course, Paul figured that by the time we receive our ROI (Return On Investment), it may be time for another dishwasher! lol! Oh, well. We'll see.

What we don’t have is a microwave. We had the one my husband had since college and I’d always said that when it finally died, we wouldn’t get another. Well, that was 3 years ago and we haven’t. The only reason I would want one is that it would mean I wouldn’t have to wash my pots and pans so much… and that’s not a good enough reason for me.

Could you imagine planning ahead and cooking just once a day?

I was so impressed with this idea. It was one of those things that I was talking about before in the other thread. The idea of doing something so differently, but never thinking of it, because no one else does it that way. It honestly never dawned on me. I think this one would be a real challenge for me, because, though I regularly take the time to make out our menus for the week, I have not considered cooking just once a day. That would require a whole different level of commitment - one that I don’t know that I’m ready to make. Still… some people don’t have a choice…

Does your town have or are you able to use public transportation?

We have buses here, but they don’t reach out to where we live. We live in what used to be “country,” but, of course, is all developed now. I do wish the bus would come out this way, but I think that is highly unlikely, because I think the county believes that people here have more money and therefore would not use public transportation.

Do you often choose to walk or ride your bike instead of driving?

We are fortunate and unfortunate in this area. 1)We live in FL which is flat, flat, flat and even when it is hot, it is still doable for biking, 2) We have a grocery store about a mile and a half away that we can get to using our own neighborhood roads to bike to, and 3) We know a number of back roads to bike for fun, go to the park, and even visit Grandma if we are up for a longer bike ride. UNfortunately, other amenities, such as the library, are located on a very busy highway and there is no back road access for us. I do wish we were able to get to everywhere I wanted to go by bike, but our suburbs were designed with the automobile in mind and not people. >:( Grrrr. Our town is also veeeeerrrry spread out (again, for the automobile), so that while I might be willing to ride somewhere at a bit of a distance, my children are another story. It is a fantasy of mine to live in a walkable village.

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...