Thursday, May 1, 2008

Read-Along; Book Study, Anyone?


Over at the online knitting community, Ravelry, I have started a read-along on the message boards of the book I just reviewed below: Doris Janzen Longacre's, Living More with Less. I started to think that it would be fun to do that on here, too, if there is anyone interested in joining me, since I realize not all of my readers are necessarily knitters, nor are they necessarily on Ravelry (which still has a waiting list even if you wanted to join).

As I mentioned below, the book is an easy and enjoyable read, chock full of inspirational ideas and stories of living a simpler life.

I would plan to start the read-along here the same day I will start the one on Ravelry, May 11th, Mother's Day. I chose that day for a couple of reasons. First, it would give everyone a chance to procure a book, whether from a library or via a purchase (I will say that I think the "study" will take longer than the average 3-week loan on a library book, so owning it may be a good option). I did notice that Amazon has used copies as low as .59. The shipping of $3.99 is the higher price there!

The second reason I liked the 11th was that it is the Lord's day and it is a study that will impact our faith and our walk with Him and for His creation. Also, it seems a bit symbolic, too, that the choices we make to live more simply effect not only God's people, but also the Earth, which is so often affectionately referred to as our "mother." It seemed to me like a great Mother's day gift to give and receive. :)

I'll be looking over the book this weekend to get a rough outline of the reading schedule. Obviously, it is not as easy to have a "thread" on here for each specific section, as it would be to have on a message board, but I'm just going to wing it. I suspect that we will discuss a new section every other week.

One woman on Ravelry said that she had seen an actual study guide companion for the book. I do not have that, but will try to not only discuss my general impressions of each section, but hopefully, also pose questions. If someone does have the study guide, perhaps he/she would like to share those questions with us. Or maybe someone on Ravelry has it and I'll be able to post some of the questions/comments here.

Well, enough said about that. I think I'd like to hope for at least 2 other readers to join me in order to make it worth all of our time and enhance discussions. So, let me know if you are interested! I hope so; I think it would be a fun way to learn a lot about our Lord, convict and challenge us with new ways of living out our faith, and let us get to know each other a little more too.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...