Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring Fever



This weekend I stopped by Meredith's blog and found that she's recently been struck with the "urge to purge." :) I left a comment immediately, because I have been experiencing the same thing over the last couple of weeks or so. Even in Florida, I said, we still get that urge to overhaul the closets and let in some light and space!

AND you KNOW this is a serious phenomenon when your 11 year old daughter decides to do the same thing all on her own! Oh, I DO wish I had a "before" picture, but I'm sure she would not have let me show it anyway! :) The biggest thing to go was the Littlest Petshop village she's had at the end of her bed for the last 2 1/2 years! She has nearly 80 of these tiny bobble-headed toys. It's not something I like to admit to when I am a person who values simplicity and dislikes overconsumption.



But they find their way in.

Birthday and Christmas presents and every odd Grandma overnight in between often yields another LPS, as the girls call them. One of my theories as to why children have just SO MANY toys these days is that they are just so darn cheap. My girls get an allowance and while we have saving and giving programs in place, I have gone back and forth with how much control I ought to have over what they purchase with their own money. Obviously, I would not let them purchase something that is not appropriate, but when it is appropriate and it is something they want to spend their hard-earned money on, I feel remiss in refusing them the opportunity to purchase what they want. Even if it is yet another LPS.

So. LPS was not given or thrown away, but it was put away and that is a real turning point. It's one of those "two steps forward, one step back" moments of those "tween" (but I hate that word) years. And I paused and took note. We talked about it a bit too - about how it feels to want to play with your toys one moment and do something more grown up the next.

Way to go, Maia! Just look at some of the stuff she got rid of!


Paul and I purged things this weekend too and now the well of our van is full and ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow. It'll be a good thing to do on Earth Day, I think.

A little off-topic here is a picture of what happened when I mopped the floors this weekend. There must be something enchanting about displaced furniture, because something interesting always crops up whenever I need to move the chairs to mop the floors. This time was no exception.


Speaking of Earth Day, we put this terrific sign up in our yard on Saturday. We've actually had it for over a year, but just hadn't put it out yet. I saw one the first time in my (wonderful) sister-in-law's yard (hi, Lena!) a number of years ago and was on the hunt for one of my own ever since. I really hope folks walking by will pause, assuming it is one of those nasty warning signs that the chemical lawn companies leave after they've treated a lawn, and just think about the absurdity of it all.


You can get one of these great signs for yourself here too, if you want!

I'll be back tomorrow with a post for Earth Day. Put your thinking caps on and make a positive change for the Earth, for its creatures, for all of us.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...