Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy 2008!

"And what does January hold? Clean account books. Bare diaries. Three hundred and sixty-five new days, neatly parceled into weeks, months, seasons. A chunk of time, of life... those few first notes like an orchestra tuning up before the play begins."

~ Phyllis Nicholson, 1947


Happy New Year, One and All! :)

Housekeeping today - here at the blog and at my own home. Today is the day, annually, that another Christmas is all put away for the year. It's always a bit poignant for me, so I keep plunging through, so as not to get too trapped in the moment.

One of those moments came for me this year, as I was putting away the Christmas books, music, and videos. So many of those Christmas books are "little" children books and, though my older still loves to listen to How the Grinch Stole Christmas, none of the books need to be read to my girls anymore. And the videos, too. I noticed that some had not even been watched. A couple, they have definitely outgrown, but some, they just didn't take the time to watch this year. I'm sure if I'd mentioned it they would have, but they were very busy with their friends and all the new things they like to do. Ah, well. We'll make a point of watching them next year. The bottom line is that these markers in time continually remind me that my girls keep on growing up.

But, I am not lost in the melancholy of it. Looking ahead to the fresh, new year with its ideas and ideals all laid out before me is exciting. After the decorations had been put away, I spent about 4 hours cleaning - really cleaning - my desk. You should see the paper recycling bin!! I didn't even manage to get to absolutely everything, but I did weed a lot.

See, I came up with this idea last night. I'd been thinking about what I wanted to do creatively this year and kept thinking about how having my tools more accessible would allow me to be more easily productive. I've hardly drawn anything since September with all the gift knitting I did for Christmas and I'm hoping to do some more now in the new year. Amy, of the Creative Mom Podcast, has challenged her listeners to think about doing drawing in series style every month. So, my desk is clean and my materials are there and ready to do my bidding. I haven't decided on a theme just yet for January, but I have an idea. We'll see how it goes.

One thing I would like to do is to try drawing a little more "out of my head" this year instead of looking so much at things when I draw. I do like doing that and will likely continue to do so, but I'm hoping to just play with my imagination a bit more. We'll see how that goes too.

School starts again for us tomorrow. I'm as prepared as I'll ever be! :) Co-op and P.E. will begin again next week and then we'll see how well I can keep up with my new plans... once real life hits again!

But for now, it's a new year after a good and creative year. I'm looking forward to stepping up on all that I've accomplished and learned about myself in this past year and seeing just where the new road will lead.

A Happy and Blessed 2008 to you!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...