Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fun, Whirlwind Weekend!


The Scrambler. The Spider. The Scorpion.

That's right, we've been to the county fair! Actually, we've had a whirlwind of a weekend, it seems, but today... today was the fair.


We made out pretty well. Maia got a 3rd place ribbon for her corn muffins. We decided that next year we'd have her do something sweeter in a category that seems to be dominated by sweet treats. I received 2 red ribbons - one for my Little Guy and one for my potato salad - and Eve was the champ this year, bringing home a red rosette ribbon for her cross stitch and a blue rosette ribbon for her fruit dip. Her rosettes earned her a total of $18.00! Was she ever surprised! I can tell you, my girls will be crafting up new ideas for next year's fair after they've seen how lucrative it can be! :)


I know it's cold up north when we are feeling chilly here. The air was cool and crisp today as the wind continued to push down from the north. It made for quite a different fair day than the hot and sticky one of two years ago. Still, we managed to created enough sticky with our cotton candy and funnel cakes.




On Friday we had a busy intro to our weekend with a homeschool field trip out to a local nature center. Later that afternoon we headed out to the girls' first concert; we went up to Tampa for Winter Jam 2008! And a very loud time was had by all! :)


I continue with Project 365. I am on day 10 today. It's interesting trying to frame photos for the project. It seems easier when there is an event to record. Yesterday I'd planned to do nothing as I recovered from the day before. It was nice and restful, but then I was left with "nothing" to photograph. Obviously, there's always something to photograph, but I can see how this project is going to push me some days.


Day 9 - "We Three Friends"

Another series I am working on at the moment is in my sketchbook. I'm calling this my Everyday Life series. I'm working from photographs (I really do have plenty!) and just painting things in our everyday lives right now. This is the first one:

It's taken from a photograph of the girls making Halloween cookies in 2006. They were baking with their dolls. Here, Maia is holding her American Girl doll, Kirsten. Kirsten is wearing a chef's hat - which I painted purple. Our counters aren't really purple ether, but I'm using my creative license!
I'm hoping to create some larger pieces this year too. I'd like to do a picture of our home and then begin to dabble in some other larger pieces throughout the year.

Thanks again for stopping by and having a look. I hope you've all had as fun a weekend as we have!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...