Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Very Happy Thanksgiving to You!


See, we really do have some Autumn in Florida!
This is some of the view from our back yard.

To all my American friends, I would like to wish you a blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Last night, as we sat around the table, I said to the girls, "Have you thought about what you are thankful for? Do you know what you plan to share on Thursday?" Maia (newly 11 this past Friday!) jumped right in and said, "I am thankful for my pets! And for God. I'm thankful for my family and my house and my friends... and for angiosperms!"

For those who don't know, a hint is to "think botany." :)

Then Eve (8) chimed in, "I'm not thankful for robbers."

"Or murderers?" Daddy said.

"Oh, not murderers!... Or manslaughter!"

?! Manslaughter?

And so goes the family meal table at our house.


Morning Silhouette
Great Egret by Sparkle Pond this morning

I, too, have been thinking of things for which I am thankful. First, I guess, after a number of years of upheaval, I have been thankful... so thankful... for a peaceful year.

I could say the things most everyone thinks about too: my relationship with God, my family, my friends, my health, my home, the beauty of the great world around me and the creatures which inhabit it.

But, thinking smaller, here are a few specific things I'm thankful for this year:

- the internet: SO amazing and my homeschooling would be a completely different thing without it. Actually, my life would be so different without it.

- blogs: fascinating and fun... and very often, FREE! Thanks, Blogger!

- podcasts: I am hooked and am so impressed with the creativity and conversation that is out there

- Ravelry: I think, as a knitter, I'm supposed to say this. :) I am thankful for the genius behind it and all the potential it holds for the future.

- My subscriptions to Home Companion and Country Living: Yep. I'm being honest here, folks. I LOVE getting my magazines in the mail. It's like a little present from me to me! :) And I'm not just a looker with these. Oh, no, they are Project Potential! My magazines get cut up and reorganized into my journal, made into collages, decorate letters, and get made into gifts.

- The used books at the Goodwill bookstore by my home and from Amazon.com. It's hard not to be thankful when the $3.99 s & h costs more than the hardcover book itself!



Yea! New-to-me Susan Branch Books!


- Flickr: It's just fun to play with and share my pictures. There are SO many things you can do - and so much more that I could be doing with my digital camera (something else I'm thankful for) - but one only has so many hours in the day...

- Knitting: puts my mind at ease and challenges it at the same time. The tactile nature of this craft (and crochet too, though I am much more a novice at that) and the beauty and pleasure of holding the tools is really divine. The addiction grows a bit more every day...

Well, that's just a few things that I am thankful for this year. Seemingly superficial, but meaningful to me.

My dog, Lucy
See the tip of her tongue? It's always sticking out!


As I said, I hope you all enjoy your holiday wherever you are. If you are not in the U.S., I wish you a warm and wonderful weekend. We are off to my uncle's place in Georgia after a local family gathering tomorrow. In GA, we will have a bonfire, roast marshmallows, have a hayride, and sing karaoke in a small airplane hangar on my aunt and uncle's ranch. We have lots of good food, cousins, laughter, and sing Christmas carols together. We checked out a bunch of DVD's for the car ride. I am, BTW, not a proponent of DVD viewing in the car; I like old-fashioned car games, talking, drawing, etc. But last year, after bumper-to-bumper traffic home from Fort Valley, GA until we hit Tampa, with children crying and practically pulling their hair out saying, "I can't take it anymore!!! When will we ever get home????" we're going to be a bit more prepared this year.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...