Monday, November 12, 2007

Decorating for Thanksgiving


This week Kelli is hosting a week of ideas for Thanksgiving at her blog. There will be decorating, organizing, recipes and more from all who participate. Be sure to stop in and see what everyone is cooking up!

Thanksgiving Day is going to be at my mom's this year. That doesn't stop me from casting a mood in our own home, of course! While I won't have family around my table on the 20th, I did just have friends over for my Hand-Made party (you can read about that here and here!), so our home was ready to welcome guests!

Here, the sideboard waits to be filled with dishes to pass. I wish I had gotten a chance to take a picture the other night with all the pretty, yummy plates and sparkly glasses, but I did not. The sideboard was given to me by my mom and was in her late husband's family.


Maia and I collected Brazilian Pepperberry the other day over at the nature trail. *GASP* Before you tell me not to ever take something from a park, you should know that Brazilian Pepperberry is an invasive species to Florida that county extension officers would be happy for anyone to destroy. It's too bad, because it really is so pretty - which is why it ended up here in the first place! But it is rampant and pushes out other native species, including the beloved mangrove along the Florida coastline. It is also terribly hard to get rid of. You have to literally burn the stump of this giant shrub or cut it down and then "paint" the herbicide over the stump for it to die. So, despite the funny looks one guy gave me as I walked through the woods with my clippers and bag full of pretty branches, it really is okay. In fact, I was careful to put any leftover berries - not in my compost bin - but in a knotted plastic bag in the garbage.

I'll likely go back later for more to make a wreath!


This tin pitcher is one I got at an antique store a number of years ago in Minnesota. Yes, it's dented a bit on one side, but I don't mind that and it was only seven dollars. It makes a great vase for tall wildflowers in the spring and summer, and a nice centerpiece to be used in many ways.


I dressed up the hurricane glass to set our on the coffee table. I started by borrowing a bit of sand from the sandbox... The little pine cones and other sparkly bits were from a little bag on sale at Michael's for a dollar the other day. Pepperberry found its way here too!


All dressed up and ready to shine all the way through Christmas!


And now on to the coffee table where it belongs! Candles, candles, candles! I love my candles! The spiced cider one on the left is especially delicious! The napkin under the hurricane glass was embroidered by my grandmother.


Now, Meredith said never to use flashes in your blog photos, but this was just way to dark to put up otherwise! We're not great fans of the mirror over our fireplace. The house was built in 1986 and the mirror and the bright, white tiles seem to reflect (no pun intended) that quite clearly. But, since we don't have one huge designing budget, we work with what we have for the time being.


Clarice at Storybook Woods made this garland tutorial available last year. I'm sure you could dig it up in her archives if you like.


A Mary Engelbreit print from her Home Companion magazine. I subscribe to this (and destroy them for SO many projects! :) ); this was a print from last year. The quote is one from Ralph Waldo Emerson and says, "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not path and leave a trail."


I painted these letters from Michael's the other day. A tip of the hat to Dawn for the great idea (she has so many!). See, there is a little bit of the blogosphere all over my house!


And finally, for today, the simple table covering with a pumpkin spice candle in the middle for more good smells. If I were having company today, I'd probably dress up the centerpiece, but this is our every day table.


Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to visit the rest of the tour over at Kelli's place! :)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...