Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Birthday Fun & Favorite Things


Hello, Everyone!

First, I want to say a big, "thank you" for all the kind birthday wishes. We really had a great weekend.

On Sunday Eve had a friend of hers over after church so we could all go bowling. We have an every-other-year system here with our birthday parties. On "off years" the girls choose one friend with whom they can do an activity: movies, bowling, miniature golf, etc. Bowling seems to be a popular choice for some reason.

After we bowled we came back to the house for cupcakes and the girls played for a bit. Does Eve look happy enough? LOL!



The Saturday before, I had "my day." I headed out of the house about 10:00 a.m. and went to Barnes and Noble. There really aren't any local bookstores in my area other than the Goodwill bookstore which is my usual haunt, so since it was my birthday present, I went to B&N.

I must admit, I only go to this store about once a year. It takes about a half hour to drive there and if I don't just get books at the library, I purchase them used online or at GW. I was surprised at how many people were just "hanging" out there on a Saturday morning. And this was actually the first time I had ever "hung out" there myself. I usually go there with a particular mission in mind and have never really just lingered. Of course, I also usually have the kids, so that plays into the "hang out" factor too.

I ordered a Pumpkin Spice decaf latte at the Starbucks located in the store and sketched some of the people there. Then I went and plopped down in a cushy chair right next to the aisle with the knitting books and ooo-ed and aaaahh-ed over the various beautiful things to create. I probably sat there for a good 90 minutes. Yea!

Oddly enough, I didn't get anything there, because they didn't have the watercolor Moleskines I was looking for. One block over is a Borders and I was fortunate enough to find one there. I picked up a pocket-sized book of knitting basics that would be handy for trying new things. I didn't actually get any of the other gorgeous knitting books with all the patterns, because I am currently up to my eyeballs in projects I want to do and I'm pretty busy with Christmas gifts besides. But I did particularly love Knit 2 Together. There were SO many things I thought were so beautiful in that book and it's going to the top of my Amazon wish list for Christmas! In the meantime, I may just do an inter library loan so I can just look at it all over again! :)

(edited to add: Okay, just as I was finding the link for this, I see that Amazon has them used for $5.50 instead of new for nearly $30.00! THAT fits my budget and I'm getting one NOW!)

Then I was off to Michael's to get a pan of watercolors, a row counter and needle gauge, and a small bit of yarn for yet another Christmas gift in the lineup.

I came home and had a bit of time playing around with making test swatches of my new colors...


and then my older colors - the watercolor pencils - just because it was fun!


And then I did the tomatoes that you see at the top of the post. So, it was a good day of doing many of my favorite things!

I wonder how many of you keep journals - written or visual or otherwise? I keep a written one that is private, one for favorite quotes, and then my sketchbooks which I don't mind sharing. If you keep a journal, I'd love to hear about it. How many do you have going at once? How long have you been journaling? Do you have many saved? I think I'm closing in on 40... in journals and in real life it seems! :)
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...