Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Summer Farewell


Image Courtesy of allposters.com

Can it be Thursday already? And almost September... already?

I welcome the creeping onset of Autumn, though. I honestly don't know that I can think of one person who doesn't like Autumn. I realize some of you may be hanging on to Summer for all she's got as long as you can, but who doesn't love the tilt of the light and those amazing, Kingfisher-blue skies? I know that when we lived in MN, I too, hung on to summer for just as long as I can, but the romance of Autumn in all its splendid colors always swept me away.

Here in Florida, Autumn is, of course, welcome relief - relief that we won't actually get to experience until about mid-October, but relief, nonetheless. I clearly remember the donning of the fall decor beginning among the blogs round the first of September! I live vicariously through all of you at this time of year when we are still in the dog-days of Summer!

To be honest, I have never chosen Summer as a favorite season. I like it, but I don't have the memories of long summer camps or family cabins that some so fondly remember. I often wonder what it would be like to have traveled annually to some same summer resort: the summer resorts that are so hard to get into, since it seems the same families hold their same reservations for years. I'm sure that the same-old, same-old can get dull too, but I also understand how a place can become a "home-away-from-home." And, I confess, I am a sucker for tradition. I like adventure too, but here and there, sprinkled among the steady pace of tradition.

Amy at the Creative Mom Podcast prompted us with a haiku this week. Strangely, as I told her, I have been wanting to write one of late. This was the push I needed and I put my thoughts of Summer down on paper.

Summer

Lazy days away
it's somewhat lonely to me
with everyone gone.


And that's how summer mostly seems to me. I guess I don't have too many memories of a neighborhood filled with friends and long days full of endless fun. And the neighborhoods aren't full these days either. With summer camps for every interest and day of the week and family vacations, the children who might be around to play with each other are shipped out to different places. I don't begrudge anyone their family vacation. We like to take them too! But I'm always happy to know when school swings around, I'll get to see familiar faces around here again. Community life starts up once more.

So, fare thee well, Summer. We've collected some fine memories, but Autumn is just around the corner and I am more than ready to greet her!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...