Saturday, August 11, 2007

Frugal Subversive Award




Hello everyone!

I'm back from my mini-break. It was very nice and I caught up on a number of small projects and some reading. I've also come back to the surprise that Lisa nominated me for a Frugal Subversive Award! Aren't those piggies cute? Thank you, Lisa! I've never been awarded anything on my blog before and I must tell you, I coveted the award started by Rhonda Jean, because, really, it's just what I'm all about!!

Rhonda Jean writes:

This is the start of a new meme - the Frugal Subversive Award. I am giving my award to three bloggers who consistently turn their backs on consumerism to live frugally in a creative and authentic way. These bloggers have made me think in innovative ways about my own life and how I can make a difference making, reusing, and just saying "no" to mindless spending.

If you are given an award and want to take part in this meme, you can in turn select three other bloggers who have inspired you to be a frugal subversive. Passing the rules on with the award will make it easier for everyone to participate. Congratulations on the award. I hope it helps you spread awareness near and far.

MEME RULES

1. When you are tagged, write a post with links to three blogs who have inspired you with their frugal creativity or innovation.

2. In your post, please link back to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme and save the award graphic.

3. Leave a comment or message for the bloggers you’re tagging, so they they know they're received the award.

4. Display the Frugal Subversive Award badge to identify your blog as part of the movement that is turning its back on consumerism at any cost.

So, again, thank you, Lisa, for nominating me, and Rhonda Jean, for creating the award. It is meaningful and I hope that it spreads the message of the importance of the citizens of wealthy countries to choose lives of voluntary simplicity, frugality, and eco-consciousness. I believe these lifestyle choices are a way that we can live more equitably with the rest of our brothers and sisters on the planet. For me, it is as that bumper sticker says, "Live simply, so others may simply live." Even with the choices I make daily to live a simpler life, I know that our family lives as kings compared to some. It makes it easier to practice saying, "no" to so much of the unnecessary extras that are continually pushed in our faces when I think of them and the state of the planet.

It takes practice to live consciously, but, lest you think it is drudgery, let me assure you that it is a very rewarding way to live. Not only does it lend purpose to my life, but I feel it adds intellectual stimulation and creativity born of necessity. If, for example, I don't buy x, y, or z, is there something I can use or re-use or borrow to be able to do whatever it is I want to do? And if I can't figure out an alternative, can I wait and perhaps find that I don't need it anyway? Could I even pray for an alternate solution to come to mind? Do we remember that God will provide for all of our needs? Do we give Him the opportunity to do so?

I think I could go on and on here, but I need to nominate some others for the award and spread the joy!

First, I would like to nominate Marianna of Cardinal Acre. Marianna regularly shares the steps she is taking toward a simpler life. She has terrific links and great ideas. She may very well be related to me! :)

Next, I will nominate Reeve of Country Roads. I don't know that she would think of herself as "subversive," but she does live simply, creatively, and authentically with her husband and two children in Texas.

Finally, I will nominate Sara at Walk Slowly, Live Wildly. She and her little family continue to downsize. Her latest adventure is traveling across the country in an RV they have refurbished to run on used vegetable oil and outfitted with many environmentally-friendly products on the inside. Her blog is widely read and it thrills me, because not only does she have an environmental message, it is Christian.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...