Saturday, July 28, 2007

Grown-Up Chores



A sultry Saturday here on the Gulf Coast. Across the pond right now is a gathering of the white birds. Wood storks are farther up on the bank, ibis are in the pond below and one great heron is standing tall above them all in the water.

Well, I don't have a chore chart, but I do have a list! It seems everywhere I look today, I see something that needs to be done. Hubby is out working in the heat, poor dear. He's just finished mowing and will be starting to put together a new fence for around the garden! Hurray!

My list includes bathrooms that need to be cleaned, a bird cage that needs tending to as well, a front flower bed that needs weeding (the rain we've finally gotten has kicked them all into high gear) and ferns that need trimming in the front and back.

I should get to it, but first, here's just a couple of photos of a small lesson in tomato canning we had the other day with the girls and some friends. They all just loved helping and watching the skin pop on the tomatoes. Peeling them seemed to provide the greatest thrill all around! We didn't put up very much: just a few pints, but it was more for the experience. If your haven't tried canning with your children (if they are at least 6 or 7, I think), you really should. The more hands helping with the canning process, the faster it all goes!



One last note: I made mustard for the first time last night! Mmm. Fun and super easy! It is so delicious... and is currently mellowing out in a bowl on the counter, as it was exceptionally spicy. There are many delicious-sounding recipes to try online: Apple-Maple Mustard is one that sounds tempting to me. If I find something I really like, I may just have a new specialty to share at Christmas!

Off to the chores now. Hope you all are enjoying your weekends!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...