Saturday, June 16, 2007

Swimming

I. Am. Tired. I don't have a real reason to be so tired today, but I am. My girls were at a slumber party last night and went from there right to another birthday party, so it's not that I've been busy with them. And even though I slept until 9:00 a.m. this morning (exceptionally rare!!), I'm still tired. My friend reminded me of that whole "quality of sleep" thing - that the hours of sleep you get before midnight are much more restful to your body than those after. If that's the case, that would explain it. We stayed up late watching "The Queen" last night. It was a good movie, by the way, but I question the whole Academy award winning performance. To me, Helen Mirin did a whole lot of frowning and thinking. I suppose if that's what they like in Hollywood nowadays, I should count it as an improvement and leave it at that!

Off on a tangent there... ah, yes, so this is supposedly my summer vacation from school. But, really, ...there is rarely a break from it. I don't purchase a boxed curriculum, so this is always the time of year for me when my head begins to swim. I am not lacking in ideas. To the contrary, there are numerous, numerous things my head suggests and my challenge is always to whittle, whittle, whittle it down into a realistic plan that we can all acutally achieve this next year.

I try, of course, to keep the things that went well for us last year, and take away those things that didn't. And then I do silly things like just innocently walk into the nearby Goodwill bookstore and begin scanning the shelves. *sigh*

I picked up this large homeschooling 6th grade curriculum in a book for $2.99 (retail $29.99), the awesome, awesome nature journal book for $1.99 (retail $17.99) and the other two were each under $2.00 as well. Other than the devotional for Maia, the books are for, yes, more ideas. And there are so many wonderful ones in these.

This probably wasn't the task I should have decided to take on today. But I am the kind of person who doesn't like to wait to do things. Generally speaking, I'm not a very good procrastinator. Things bug me too much for that. They just hang over me and I loathe that feeling, so I always tend to be plugging away at one thing or another. Which means I've usually got a number of things going on at once.

Here are a couple of drawings I got done yesterday:

The one on the bottom is the one I drew while I was there and the one on the top was me, taking my creative lisence and having a little fun with it!

Eve and I had a special trip to Starbucks while Maia was a her acting camp yesterday. It is extremely rare for me to go there, because I finally figured out that it was the coffee - even the decaf that i was drinking - that gives me migranes. Now, my migranes aren't anything like what some people get, so it's tempting to still drink it; my love for coffee is so strong. So, it would be pretty torturous to go into any coffeehouse on any sort of regular basis. But it was a treat, so I went ahead and ordered just a small cup of decaf with hazelnut syrup and whipped cream. Aaahhh, bliss! I doubt the one cup will give me any trouble. I just couldn't go sit in there and draw and order a decaf tea, which, for some reason, doesn't give me any trouble. As much as I enjoy tea, it's just not coffee. And, my, what a lovely cup it was.

So, some questions: Are you a coffee drinker or a tea drinker? If you drink both, do you have particular times of the day that you prefer one over the other?

If you homeschool, to you piece your curriculum together? Do you purchase one particular set? Do you - oh-my-gosh-I-could-never-do-this-but-admire-you-if-you-do - put together a unit studies curriculum? Are you more prone to want to read or do hands-on activities? Are you already prepared for next year??? Maybe you shouldn't answer that last one even if you are!! ;)

Hope you're all enjoying your weekends!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...