Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Simple Summer Pleasures


We've had a nice couple of days here around Golightly Place, in spite of the lack of rain. That's right. No rain in the middle of rainy season. And no oranges growing on our beautiful tree. Our orange tree usually gives us literally hundreds of oranges from December until the end of March. And these oranges are so juicy that they are a challenge to eat! They are simply scrumptious and so wonderful made into orange juice. My mouth waters just thinking of them! But there will not be any oranges this year. I am praying that this drought will not only end for us, but that it is just a fluke in the normal cycle of things... that it is not yet another sign of the climate change that continues to gradually happen around the world.

Look what I bought today!


Yes, it is the simple things in life that make us happy. I needed a new laundry basket, because I kept stealing Paul's in order to carry the laundry out and back inside. I definitely didn't want plastic and though this was about $6.00 more that the plastic baskets, I like it infinitely more!! It just adds to the whole pleasure of it all for me!

You know, different people have their different chores that they really enjoy doing. My mother, for instance, really likes to fold clothes. My husband likes to be the one to vacuum and some people wax poetic about having their hands in warm, sudsy water whilst they do the dishes. I think about those people whilst I do the dishes... and I try to think poetical thoughts (and use British terminology like, "whilst"), but I do not like doing dishes.

But I love, love, love hanging out my clothes! And I don't even mind folding them, nice and "air-ironed" for me, off the line. Folding clothes just out of the drier is mind-numbingly boring for me, for some reason. But hanging the clothes outside amidst birdsong and buzzing bugs is simply heavenly for me... and even moreso if I can do it barefoot! :)

This pretty picture shows not only my swell, new basket, but also one of the 4th of July skirts my girls will be wearing again this year. My mother's friend got them for the girls at a garage sale last year. I think they must have been clogging skirts or something like that. Anyway, they girls just love them and they'll be in them again this year to wish our country a happy birthday.


Eve has been taking on some newer tasks while her sister is away being an "alley cat." This weekend (though her sister was here), she helped Daddy with some yard work to earn a little extra spending money.


I have been teaching her a little on the recorder and yesterday we began piecing together a crazy-quilt pillow. I've taught her what little I know of sewing on the machine... and, well, we're just figuring it out together as we go along. It's been a lot of fun! :)


Thanks to everyone for all of the sweet comments that you leave and a special welcome to new visitors who have stopped in or are just saying hello for the first time. I love when I see a new name and I always try to stop by your places too. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you're all having a nice week!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...