Sunday, April 1, 2007

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!


Image Courtesy of AllPosters.com

When my mother was a little girl her grandmother taught her to say, "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!" on the first day of every month - before you say anything else! - and you will have good luck... or even get a present!

It's just a little game and even my girls know that it's not "real" (we are Believers, after all, and understand Who really brings us blessings and Who's hand is over the whole of the Universe), but it's a fun little way to celebrate the turning of each month.

In fact, I almost blew it this morning. I went in to wake the girls and before I could get out, "Good morning, time to wake up!" my little E popped her eyes wide open and with a big smile on her face, said, "Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!" So she reminded me!

I love all the seasons of the year and the turning of the months, don't you? There is something special about each one of them. I am always so grateful for our amazingly creative God. He has given us variety in everything! Sometimes I think He did that to let us know that it is really okay to be ourselves and by being wholly ourselves and following Him, we can bring Him glory.

I even think about this when we are sitting down to eat. You know, He could have just given us manna. He could have just given us one thing to eat and one thing to drink to sustain us in our lives, but he didn't! He gave us papayas and mangoes, sweet corn and squash, mushrooms and asparagus, wild rice and plantains and the list goes on and on. And He gave us all different tastebuds that enjoy or reject the different flavors and textures of the foods of the world. The turning of the year brings us new flavors to discover and old ones to recall that link us to fond memories.

It amazes me, too, that using some of the same ingredients in differing combinations, can yield different, tasty results. Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin said, "The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of the human race than the discovery of a star." That's certainly correct in my book! I hope you'll experiment with some of the delicious harvest that the season brings your way this year. What a wonderful way to herald the coming of Autumn and what a gift and easy way for us to remember the blessing of each day! So, Happy September to you! Happy Autumn to all! Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit!

Edited to add: Another of my archives. Happy April everyone! Happy Spring!
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...